car susspension sitting lower on the passenger side and rubbing when hitting bumps

eddiedellz

Gringo
on my 87 the car has allways sat lower on the passenger side since i got the car i know the car was hit but i got the car for a deal . i was thining maby it could have been the springs where dead on that side .. so i changed all shocks and springs front and back when i did my 12 inch brake uppgrade.. i allso put loweing springs in when i did this .. but unfortuantly it did not fix it .. so then i took the car to a body shop to see if the frame was bent and that could be the problem they said the frame was fine that to fix it they could send the car out to get the suspension "tweeked" adding adapters and such i was kind of thinking maby the previous owner put springs in and did not put them in the right location meaning the end of the coil not twisted the way its sapose to i know its in the pocket .. has anyone heard of what the body shop was telling me .. or knows what i can do or has ideas for me to check i woudlent mind so much paying for it to get done i just want to know whats doing first and if i could do it myself.. thanks :confused:

That's possibly the longest run-on sentence I've ever read...;)

Is the car sitting low at the front and the rear, or is just the rear sagging?

I've not heard of the scenario you mentioned, but, maybe a body man will pipe in with some advice. However, if the rear is where the problem is, maybe you could get a coil spring air bag and put it in. This would allow you to raise/level the back end to your liking. And, it's a suspension mod that almost every one of us do, in order to make the car launch better.
Airbag kits are about $75 for a set of two. You can use both --one on each rear spring, or just use the one on the sagging side, as it's the one you truly need to help traction issues.

hmmmm

How heavy is your passenger :p
now i am honestly only kidding, its almost 2 in the morning and i am a smart arse. but what JT said sounds like a good plan so far.

Robert

You must look prosperous and the body shop guy would like to get into some of that prosperity. I'll tell you what to do. Get a set of 82-92 camaro/firebird springs, preferably at a boneyard..........about $5 each. Your car will sit with the wheel lip even to or an inch higher than the top of the tire. If uneven, you can install a one inch rubber isolator (available on 80s mustangs in the same boneyard) on the low side to even it out.

I know it's not the amount of money your used to spending, but you can live with it. :p

Are you measureing the height at the body or the frame?
To check the suspension, you should be measuring the height at the frame.

If you measure the frame and it is with in a 1/2" side to side, and the body measurement is more than that, you need to take a look at the body bushings.

Another thing - when you changed out the springs, did you tighten everything up with the suspension unloaded (wheels hanging)? If you did, you might have the suspension bushings in a bind...the final tightening should be done with the wheels on the ground (or loaded somehow)

The car is lower only on the passenger side, not front to back but just that side. i dont understand how a bushing would bind or what bushing you would be refering to. i did the mesureing from the frame to the floor on the alignment rack. could it be the spring is turned the wrong way would that cause that much of a diffrence? .. err this is sooo agravating :mad:

sorry bud heh dident mean to offend you . i dont want to really go with the fbody spring idea because i have brand new loweing springs. like 200 miles on them that i just put in thats why this is such a pain because now it scrapes on the one side at any kind of dip but on the side thats higher its fine. the isolators sound like a plan did our cars come stock with anythign like that that could be missing? allso still wondering if its turned in the pocket wrong i put the springs in the same way they came out but it was messed up in the first place

Turning the spring will make no difference. Uneven stance is a common problem. I fixed mine as described. Selling the springs would be no problem. A good idea mentioned above would be to use air bags to even out the height. That will definitely work and no need to change springs. ;)

ck your upper and lower control arms my car was hit in the rear and it is doing the same thing if you press down on the drivers side it wont move up and down without alot of force but on the pass side it moves easy i have replaced everything but the upper and lower control arms when i go over a speed bump the whole car leans to the pass side till i hit another one and it straightens out somewhat the drivers side then sits about 2 inches over the tire until i press down on it i am replacing all of the parts in a couple of weeks

ck your upper and lower control arms my car was hit in the rear and it is doing the same thing if you press down on the drivers side it wont move up and down without alot of force but on the pass side it moves easy i have replaced everything but the upper and lower control arms when i go over a speed bump the whole car leans to the pass side till i hit another one and it straightens out somewhat the drivers side then sits about 2 inches over the tire until i press down on it i am replacing all of the parts in a couple of weeks

my car was the same way when I bought it !!!! took the springs out and hol crap theres the anwser a 1/2 stock rubber isolator in one side and not the other added the same size to the other side and it's now perfect :)
Good luck

Originally posted by gn4u2c
my car was the same way when I bought it !!!! took the springs out and hol crap theres the anwser a 1/2 stock rubber isolator in one side and not the other added the same size to the other side and it's now perfect :)
Good luck

If the isolators are the same size and i cant find any other suspension problems would adding a diffrent size like a half inch more or such fix up the problem? any other isolators i could use i dont want to change out the springs i like the eibach. ones and the money spent on them i dont feel like sellem them off.

me too!!

MY 87 GN SITS 1/2" LOWER ON THE DRIVERS SIDE THAN THE OTHER AND i JUST INSTALLED 2" DROPED SPINDLES AND THE CAR ONLY HAS 20,000 ON IT AND EVERY THING LOOKS NEW STILL. A friends GNX sits the same way. what I've decided to do to fix this problem is install QA1 adj. GM coil-over conversion so I can adjust each side for the perfect stance. they are spendybut I'm going to sell my eibach's and recoop some of the cost.

i want to do the isolator thing ontop of the airbags. but there on their way .. hopefully wensday ill get em

I know I'm a little late, but it's worth a try...
Yesterday, while changing my body bushings, I removed my #2 bushing, the one right next to the DP, it was the saddest thing I've ever seen.
The #2 bushing was literally mushed and melted, I'm sure it would make at least a half inch of difference between the driver's side and passenger's side bushing.

I will try to get a picture uploaded when I figure out where my dad put our digital camera.

nope nope not too late apparently this is a ongoing battle .. so far i bandaided the problem with adding airbags to the rear it fixed it a lil but if i hit any kind of dip that side scrapes and it still sits a lil lowe did you have th same problem as me with the car sitting lower?. i wish i could actually find something wrong with the thing like a bent part..