Car won't move

turbo J

Lighting the Hides when I can
Good morning,

Hoping to get some help to figure out what happened to my T Type. I have have about 700 miles on a fresh trans and torque converter. A day ago I started the car and while in park I heard a loud noise similar to when you place a car in park while it is still rolling. After about a couple seconds the the engine loaded up and died, as if you were to release the clutch on a standard to quickly and the engine dies. After several attempts to start the car it finally started, but with a faint clicking noise. I can place the car in R D 3 2 1, but the car does not move. I'm guessing the torque converter failed, but wanted to get some expert advice from you fine folks before start pulling the trans.

Thanks,
Turbo J

Park and six neutrals. Unfortunately the transmission will have to be pulled. Drop the pan and have a look for any pieces but to me it sounds like the pump likely gave out or the forward drum broke. No idea why it would have stalled as if it had been loaded up.

Is the torque converter spinning with the engine running, did all the bolts fall out maybe?

Seeing it is a fresh Trans I would not dig too deeply though, contact the builder, hopefully they stand behind their work.

Others will chime in soon enough. Good luck with this.

Thanks Jim. What funny I never put in gear when it stalled out. I started the car and about 30 seconds later it died. Then the next time I started it it wouldn't move. The day before I drove the car with no issues.

Thanks,
Turbo J

U put the trans in?
If so, did you check the space between the flex plate and the converter?
If not, and the converter neck was not all the way into the pump, it may have cracked the pump when you pulled the bolts up.
After that, it's toast. The pump broke.

Thanks Chuck for the reply. Wouldn't that have happened while I was driving it? I have put around 700+ miles since I installed it. Also this happened right after I started it while in park.

Thanks,
Turbo J

Thanks Chuck for the reply. Wouldn't that have happened while I was driving it? I have put around 700+ miles since I installed it. Also this happened right after I started it while in park.

Thanks,
Turbo J
Doubt you would have driven that far if the pump issue was from the time of install.

Thank you to all who replied, trans and converter are back at the builder. I will post the outcome.