Carb or Fuel Injected?

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Ok, this is what I've been debating in my head.

I looked at a couple of Regal's recently and was formulating this in my mind.

If I were to buy a Regal, and like most, are carburated, would that carb cause any disadvantage to me? See, I want to build a competitive street car. I've got a couple people I'm interested in racing and I've always wanted a Buick. So this is my thing.

Somebody told me that cars that have carburator's generally will lose to car's that are fuel injected. Now, this didn't make sense to me at first. Because, when it gets down to it, the only difference between the two is that fuel injecton uses a computer and carburation is just mechanics spraying the fuel into the carb right? So, this is what I want to know, if I were to buy a fuel injected V8 engine, would it be worth it to swap that into a Regal?

And this is the thing also. The particular engine I was looking at is high mileage. Now this brings another thing. Guy's around my area told me that it's bad to put turbo's, etc, on high mileage engine's. Now, I've seen someone's Buick on this forum that's got like 165,000 miles and it looks great, and I assume it does have a turbo on it.

So what I want to know is, is it worth swapping the engine?

And if I do, how much would it cost for a shop to swap the engine? I read somewhere that it'd cost 5000 just for a rebuild, so swapping would cost more, less, the same?

We are going to give the blow through carb a try. We are converting from hot air to intercooled and have everthing we need except the fast system so we said what the heck. If it doesen't work I will put the carb on my Corvette with a vortech and go back to FI on the GN or maybe a BBC. Here are some updated pictures of our progress.

DSC01332.jpg

DSC01331.jpg

2174215020100836338S600x600Q85.jpg

DSC01330-1.jpg

DSC01328.jpg

DSC01333.jpg

Jim