Carb/Turbo engine?

I'm waiting on this also. I'd like to know how a blow through carb setup runs. Probably won't get quarter times soon but a butt dyno reaction would be nice to hear about:cool: . If I don't sell my limited this looks like fairly cheap alternative to a sfi ic swap:biggrin: . Let's see need exhaust manifolds, serp setup, throw in an intercooler I guess...Wonder if a factory 4bll intake would work well with some port and polish beings its a single plane design??? Or even the electronic quadrajet...I wonder if that could be made to work for a blow thru:confused: I'd rather make something like this work than buy a draw thru setup. How cool would it be having something like this in a driver:cool:

Blowing through a carb. is nothing new. Look at the turbo forums link that Jim posted here. It's been done for awhile and some Ford folks are making big time power with it for next to nothing. You have to have some specific parts of course, but once the fuel management is figured out, I don't see why it couldn't compare somewhat to F.I. I think there is "more" with the F.I. especially in tuning and distribution. But I have seen HP and timeslips from blo thoughs that are up there too. All depends on your HP goals really. Lotsa Ford guys making 500hp with stock short blocks, correctly chosen stock heads, and blo-thru carbs. with a specific stock turbo.

"usetaboost"- You can use a Q-jet, but it requires a lot of alterations. I have seen a couple guys doing it. But even they are still working on it. On the link above there is a step by step guide to rework a Holley for boost with pix. Mine is a 650dp and is good to over 800hp. I paid $350 for it done and ready to bolt on. Looking at the old draw through regals, that set up was never an option for me. But I AM looking at this now. Trying to work over a buddy here for a 4.1 he has sitting complete. I think that would be a great foundation to do a little playing/ecperimenting.

Most of the other hot rod parts are available now thanks to the advancements done with the GN's and such. Now we just pickover the parts for the shortblock, use a 4 bbl, intake, carb, and hat, and start having a bit of fun. I dont see why some good numbers can't be had. And good parts(heads, cranks, cams, etc.) are available. Hummmmmmmmmm, I am talking myself into this more and more.................

Ive got everything i need, but i got to get a crank for the 4.1, if i got a stroker kit does it come with everything to do the block? I know the stock crank is a direct fit in my 87 GN. I wont to make the 81 TTA as radical i can, and be able to drive it on the street.

The TTA draw thru is the same as the buick setup. Guys are tuning those to run good numbers so what makes them so hard to tune??

Well the 81TTA, came with a turbo 301 pontiac engine. Dont know why they are hard to tune, but i got mine to boost, and it cracked both heads, but i didnt know, any thing about race gas, alky, ect.

80 Tta

Hi all,

I think the easiest would be to ditch the computer and use the setup that 80 had. Granted it had a "computer", but really it was just to retard timing in case of knock. Pretty simple setup and seems pretty easy to adjust. I know the Q-Jet for it WAS modified with an EGVR circuit. I got my engine done at the machine shop and bored it .40 over and just getting anxious to get it running. Will post with results I get.

Chris

Money is the hold up right now on our project and the weather is not helping either. Working in the cold is not fun at all. We do have the 9" in just need the shocks, sway bar and run the brake lines to finish that. Then we need wheels and tires so we can set it down to measure for the drive shaft. We will get there one day.

Jim

I have a nice hardly used HEI distributer out of my high performance NA 3.8 that i dont have anymore,it has the best of internal parts and a gold terminal new cap-it ran really good. will sell complete for $75. shipped.