You can type here any text you want

Carb/Turbo vs Hot Air downpipes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

I picked up a 84/85 Hot Air downpipe this weekend. It's very similar to the 78/83 downpipe. It has the same 4-bolt flange like the 81/83 pipes. The lower 3/4's is the same as the 78/83. It's just the top 1/4 that's different. The 84/85 has tighter bends and a 2-bolt flange.

I think is you could get a 84/85 2½" DP cheap, you coild lop of the top and have a new section added fairly easily. Or try to convince someone that makes a Hot Air downpipes to make a Carb/Turbo DP. They sould be able to with a stock pipe for a pattern.

So who makes a cheap, good quality 84/85 2½" DP? :)

I don't know about the cheap part. But Eric Rankin made one up for me 2 1/2” stainless steel. Cost $250 this was about 7 years ago. (It also knocked a ½ second off my ET’s)

But if you’re going to do it stainless is the best way. Once it is done you don't have to worry about it.

Now that being said. I don't see why you couldn't modify an 84/85 down pipe. Rich you said that have a 2 bolt flange at the turbo?

I have a 3-bolt flange. The 84/85 DP has the two-bolt.

I know the ATR is pretty popular, but it's not on thier website, so I don't know how much money it is (maybe if they advertised it, people would buy more:rolleyes: )

Poston's supposedly has a 84/85 DP, but again, it's not in their catalog.

Mease makes a 3" DP with an integral elbow. I don't think an integral elbow would work for us. The lowest bolt can't be removed when the turbo is mounted to the engine (valve cover is in the way). 2½" is plenty IMO.

Back