Carburetor Plug?

Sarah99gxe

Finally got my Turbo
Can someone tell me what this plug is and what does it do/control?

We just had the carb rebuilt in my regal because we could barely run it down the street. When I hooked everything backup this was the last plug to hook up and we realized this is our issue. With this plugged in the car barely goes down the street. With it unplugged, this car runs like a dream!

I just want to make sure that if we leave it unplugged it's not going to hurt anything and what exactly it is that we need to get fixed.

Thanks!
Sarah

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 121
That would be the throttle position sensor. They can break easy. Try putting a tester on it and move the throttle to see if it reads properly.

Can someone tell me what this plug is and what does it do/control?

We just had the carb rebuilt in my regal because we could barely run it down the street. When I hooked everything backup this was the last plug to hook up and we realized this is our issue. With this plugged in the car barely goes down the street. With it unplugged, this car runs like a dream!

I just want to make sure that if we leave it unplugged it's not going to hurt anything and what exactly it is that we need to get fixed.

Thanks!
Sarah

The one on the right of the pic is the TPS and the one on the left is the fuel mixture solinoid. If the solinoid isn't clicking then there's an issue with the puter not sending a signal to it. The fuel mixture solinoid is basically the sane thing as the power valve on an NA DESIGN.

The arrow is pointing at the Mixture Control Solenoid, like Charlie said.

With that unplugged, you're running rich with no computer control of the fuel/air mixture. If you run but badly with that plugged in, maybe it's shorted out so you're running lean all the time.

It only controls the primaries, not the secondaries, so the problem might be less pronounced when you stomp on it.

I forgot....

After you fix the solenoid, you'll have to adjust the idle mixture. (I forgot, because I did this myself last year and didn't want to remember.)

You start by setting the Idle Air Bleed Valve and the Idle Mixture Screws to initial "bench" settings. Then with the intake tube off, a dwell meter hooked up and the motor running at curb idle, depending on your year you adjust either the Idle Air Bleed Valve or the Idle Mixture Screws.

This can be a trying process for the uninitiated. A shop manual helps. But doing it yourself can be easier than finding a mechanic who will do it properly for you.

These yellow arrows show the adjustment points. Top arrow, the Idle Air Bleed Valve. Two lower arrows, Idle Mixture Screws. The plugs have been removed, so you do have access to them.

Attachments

• where_this_is.jpg
    where_this_is.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 83
Sheeze....I just realized how loooong ago this thread was posted. A couple months after I did that adjustment, come to think of it (shudder).

Oh well, in case somebody comes searching....