Carlsbad on the 7/3

Jeff Rand

I know it is late but Reg West and I decided to go out on this Sat.
Hope that some of the folks that got rained on the 19th will join us.
Jeff

Jeff, I think I'll have to come out and support you guys. I was there last Saturday and there were no Buicks at all. Hope to see some good times. By the way, it's looks as if Carlsbad raceway is going to close sometime in September for good. I know there has been talk about this for the past 15 years...but last week they passed out flyers giving out the "facts" about the closing. I know it's not the best track in the world but it's been open for over 40 years and I think it's a shame to lose. oh well, guess we'll have to do more 1/8th mile racing now, cause I swore off Fontana last time I was there.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make it down there tomorrow, so I wish everybody well and hope that everybody has fun.
Go Buicks.

Originally posted by AirBuick
Why are they closing this dragstrip? :confused: :confused:

FYI

Far as I know their lease is up in September, and the property has been eyed for quite sometime and it is now in Escrow.

In saying this and from what I've read, escrow will be closing on the property very soon. But they have to honor the contract to keep Carlsbad open atleast until September or it will be a breech of contract, but after that, Carlsbad Drag Strip is no more.

I guess it's finally happening and what a waste after 40 1/2 years of being open:( This should be a historic land mark in my eyes, and I heard the city of Carlsbad had allot to do with it closing:mad:

Originally posted by AirBuick
Why are they closing this dragstrip? :confused: :confused:
The land is too valuable & Calif has run out of living space. What was once paradise is now an over crowded multi cultural cess pool. I've been here since 67 & have seen alot of changes none for the better as far as quality of life. Especially in the last 20 years. If you like raceing & affordable houseing check out the Carolinas.

Originally posted by petesgn
That sucks

first brotherhood raceway closes now this..:mad:
No first was Lions, Irwindale, Orange county & Riverside raceway
& probably a couple others I forgot.

Well it sucks that the track is closing but Dad got a 10.35 at 136 out of the day.

60 foot time was 1.73 ( no traction!!!)
1/8th mile was 6.80 @ 108.8 mph

So he is about to hit the goal he wants. Its only taken about 3 years and a whole lot of heartache.

Originally posted by Raymond Bunch
FYI

Far as I know their lease is up in September, and the property has been eyed for quite sometime and it is now in Escrow.
............. But they have to honor the contract to keep Carlsbad open at least until September or it will be a breech of contract, but after that, Carlsbad Drag Strip is no more.

:mad:

Raymond, guess you need to help set up our "second annual and final" AZ/CA get-together at Carlsbad soon?

Still not too hot here yet at 105, August should be a good time to visit the "coast".

COOL!

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Raymond, guess you need to help set up our "second annual and final" AZ/CA get-together at Carlsbad soon?

Still not too hot here yet at 105, August should be a good time to visit the "coast".

Nick, happy to hear you still might be able to come out and play here at Carlsbad. I'm looking forward to it big time and do you have a possible date you will be coming? Let me know soon.... and thanks.

105 not hot, are you kidding me;) :p

Re: reply

Originally posted by turbolou
The land is too valuable & Calif has run out of living space.

The price of housing here is just absolutley ridiculous. The value of the homes here are extremely over inflated.

Re: Re: reply

Originally posted by gordyzx9r
The price of housing here is just absolutley ridiculous. The value of the homes here are extremely over inflated.

You're right. I'm thinking about cashing out, buying a mansion in TN for cash, and living off the interest from the remainder of my equity. :D :D :D

Sorry. But my net worth is making me giddy.

Mac in TN?

Kean,

You reckon you're fixin' to go live in TN with ol' Turbo Dave Eh? ;)

Neal

Oh, yeah. I forgot that Dave was going to Tennessee. I was just aiming at gordyzx9r's location.

But...I think I'll wait for Dave's report after a few years there and make up my mind then. ;) You lookin' for property in Minnesota, Neal? :D

It was Kentucky actually.

Not sure I can handle the s h i t t y weather though. I had enough of that when I was in Mississippi, Texas and Virginia while serving our great country. The prices on house sure are cheap. I wouldn't know what to do without all the traffic and illegalls too. ;)

Neal

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Oh, yeah. I forgot that Dave was going to Tennessee. I was just aiming at gordyzx9r's location.

But...I think I'll wait for Dave's report after a few years there and make up my mind then. ;) You lookin' for property in Minnesota, Neal? :D

I'll keep ya posted. So far, got the lot (1.5 acres), and the basement is dug, and basement walls are up.