You can type here any text you want

Casper Knock Gauge

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA1326

I've had one of these on my car for 5 years and now it's gone nuts (I think it's my car, not the gauge.) I had to pull my pillar gauge pod down to put in the LEDs for Razor's alcohol kit. While I was in there, I rewired the gauge because it has always had an annoying problem.

It would work perfectly for weeks or even months, but then go nuts on a day when I needed it. I would start the car and the gauge would jump to a random light and stay there. It would not turn on the green "ready" light. I finally discovered that I could wiggle the gauge slightly and the ready light would come on (Or I could restart the car). I figured I had a wiring problem, but it wasn't frequent enough to worry with.

So, yesterday I completely rewired the sucker using the original instructions. I bought brand new, good quality 16 gauge wire, and I was very careful. I got the same connectors for the gauge end, ran the wires to the same locations, and even re-soldered the ECM connection. Apparently, that was too careful. Now it jumps to a random light and stays there every single time I start the car.

Wiggling it doesn't do anything now, so I took the retainer off the back where I could play with it. I can unplug the power, ground, or signal wire to the ECM for just a second, then plug it back up and it works perfectly. Any one of those wires will fix it, but I have to do this every time I start the car. I finally put the retainer back in and I'm reaching into the fuse box to pull and replace the spade going into one of the IGN slots. It works normally until I cut the car off again.

Anybody seen this or have some idea what to check? I'm going to call Casper's tomorrow, but I wanted to start here first.

I think the Casper knock gauges are notorious for being finicky. Mine never has worked right since the day I received it.

I have the same issue....when I start the car the lights jump from the standby light to usually one of the greens or yellows, sometimes a red.

Then my gauge has also been known to display false knock readings when the scanmaster showed zero.

Also another thing that's always been a problem...is when one or more of the lights come on the gauge does not automatically reset itself.

I just ended up wiring in a momentary kill switch for it that breaks the ground. That way I can reset it anytime I want to.

You could send it back but you will probably get another hit or miss unit, so the call is up to you.

Yep, this is a common problem with a very easy fix. Wire in a power switch so you can turn it on and off at will. This way, when the gauge sticks to a light you can just turn it on and off and it will reset itself.

My TTA's gauge had this same problem. All is well now.

Jason

Mine Does The Same Thing, I Dont Look At It Now , Just Watch The Scanmaster!

Mine in the GN only sticks upon startup...has worked flawlessly after resetting on startup for years. Once I reset with the momentary switch, I've never had it "stick" when detecting knock.
I put on in the TTA and it worked fine without having a switch to reset it....go figure. John even sent me another gauge for the GN and it did exactly the same thing so I think it must be car related or something.

Back