You can type here any text you want

Casper's Knock gauge inacurate? Scanmaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
I've been noticing more and more as I've been modding and tuning that the Casper's knock gauge goes of like a Christams tree when the scanmaster shows nothing?:confused: It'll dislpay green, yellow then red on the knock gauge with not much boost at all. The 3" DP isn't hitting anything. The light will even come on at low acceleration when the car shifts between 1st and 2nd gear. I turned the car up tonight to 25 lbs of boost. It ran great and the scanmaster showed only .7 degrees of knock at the most. The IAC counts look normal, O2's normal, the MPH is showing accurately so I know the scanmaster is working. Is the Casper's gauge just so sensitive that I'm actually getting knock or is it picking up something else? Any Suggestions?

The caspers gauge reads any knock from the knock sensor. Since it is pre ECM it can be false (stereo, crossing a bridge, ect.) but it still reads it. The scanmaster is post ECM. It takes the frequencies and determines whether or not to pull timing. It usually only pulls timing for metal on metal or mechanical noise. IE. detonation or the DP hitting the frame.

My caspers gauge sometimes lights up and sometimes doesn't. I usually glance at it and if it is lit I glance over the scanmaster. The Caspers gauge always picks it up before the scanmaster will.

Jason

The caspers gauge reads any knock from the knock sensor. Since it is pre ECM it can be false (stereo, crossing a bridge, ect.) but it still reads it. The scanmaster is post ECM. It takes the frequencies and determines whether or not to pull timing. It usually only pulls timing for metal on metal or mechanical noise. IE. detonation or the DP hitting the frame.

My caspers gauge sometimes lights up and sometimes doesn't. I usually glance at it and if it is lit I glance over the scanmaster. The Caspers gauge always picks it up before the scanmaster will.

Jason

That's the reason I run both as well, even got a audible (spelling) device hooked up to the knock sensor as well but installed a switch to turn off both that one and the casper gauge so I can leave it off while just cruising around ... then turn it all on when I know I will push the engine harder. Scanmaster is on all the time.

I have never noticed my Caspers Knock gauge sensing knock without Direct Scan also picking up knock and I've logged hundreds of runs watching the knock gauge and anytime it registers anything there a blimp on Direct Scan for it. I'd email John at Caspers asking about that and he could tell you if something wrong or not.

Back