You can type here any text you want

Catch and Release

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

corsair231

I had a great opportunity for a kill today. It was the first one in a long, long time. For the last longest I have only ended up next to an economy car or a commuter mobile but today I found myself at the light with an '86-'87 Monte Carlo SS. I know, almost like shooting fish in a barrel but any action is good action, right?

I had rolled up on him in traffic and cruised on by with out giving him a thought but the next thing I know he was back up even and pacing me. It appeared to be three Mexicans in the car but it was not a taco mobile. Other than being dirty it still looked remarkably original. Anyway traffic was moderate but he found an opening and he punched it. Judging by the amout of black soot that rolled out of it he was sorely in need of some tuning.

Anyway I cut thru traffic and eased my way back up to him and slowed down to get even with him. He hit it a little and more black smoke. He walked away for a little bit and then slowed. I had to laugh. He was hooked and I knew what was coming up for this guy. I thought, "You're out of your league and you don't even know it. Just wait until we get a clear shot."

Then it happend. Traffic thinned and there was no one infront of us and the light was turning red. I started to salivate as we slowed to a stop. He was caught. I was anticipating the kill. I looked over to see the opposition. The scene from "Better Off Dead" was playing in my head, you know the one where the Camaro toasts the Fairlane, and just as I was about to move my left foot to the brake and start to build boost the scene went to commercial.

I never even touched the gas. The light turned green and he took off with a slight squeal. I took off normally. (Still almost kept up with him anyway. eek: ) I know it would have been a kill. I know I would have enjoyed it. But why did I release him? The commercial I started seeing was the one where the father found the drugs in the kid's room and the kid said, "I learned it from you, okay, I learned it from you." You see, my boy and my little girl were in the car with me and I thought how can I teach them responsability and safety if I don't practice it when they are around. I'm not afraid of hitting it while they are in the car and they both love to feel the boost kick in but the when and where was not right so I had to let this one get away. Sometimes being the adult sucks. :(

Anyway, I had nothing to prove, I mean, Chuck Norris knows Chuck Norris is bad, right? Plus there are probably a couple of Mexicans bragging to their hommes about how they out ran some black Monte Carlo with a hood scoop which may mean more fish in the future. :biggrin:

I remember my dad racing a CRX back in the day with a 305 HO Camaro, it was fun watching him toy with it. But I respect your decision not to run them, you never know when something could happen and put your kids in danger.

You have far more restraint than I do. You could've knocked that MC into next week before you even hit the speed limit. BTDT, with the kids in the car.

Jim

Oh yeah, back in the day, I was around 5 stading in the back floorboard of a primed '57 Chevy my Dad was driving (No car seated required then, LOL) and he'd race anyone, with me standing up! LOL
Funny, for everything I have ever been pulled over for, it's never been for racing;)

Great job on the responsibility though, not only for keeping them from learning bad habits, but for keeping them safe too.

Back