CD player for the

b4black

I want to put a CD player in my '83 TR (so I can listen to my new Korn CD). It currently has an AM/FM radio with the mechanical preset buttons :eek: and the knob, rectangle, knob opening. I'm not looking for the ulitmate system, just something decent for a fair price. I already have changed the factory rear speakers (with their 2" magnets) to some nice Pioneer 4x10's. I would like to leave the factory fronts alone if possible.

What I want is to use a aftermarket player that fits the larger opening like the 84/87 TR's uses (is this called a DIN opening?). Then I can simply get a 84/87 trim plate (I have done this before with cassette decks). I would really want a Delco CD, but they are going for much more than aftermarket models.

Cructhfield list five different models:
http://navigation.helper.realnames....eld.com&frameid=1&providerid=262&uid=30003006 Sorry, the link won't go directly to the page. Click on "Car Products" on the left and then " GM/Chrysler-sized" under recievers.

How about the Sanyo??? Is there a better deal somewhere else?

Oh, and I don't want something that looks like it should be in a spaceship. :)

Thanks!

About two years ago I seen different brands that where called Din and a half that would fit the openings such as the turbo Buick. The standard deck size that has been around for years is the Din size which requires a mounting kit which will position it into the center of the opening but because of the head unit, you can tell that it is aftermarket. If I am not mistaken, the '83 factory trim plate would have to be trimmed to fit any after market head units. If you use an '84 thru '87 trim plate, you can get the mounting kit which is ABS plastic and is already trimmed for an Din opening head unit.

As far as an aftermarket head unit that is good for the price and performance, I would reccomend Panasonic, Pioneer. Crutchfield has pretty good prices, but I have seen better prices on some of the same equipment at other electronic stores. The good thing about buying equipment from a stereo shop or electronics store is if it goes bad within its warranty, you can have it taken care of the same day where Crutchfield is about a week or longer. Sometimes it is not worth saving $10.00 or $15.00 on a product when you have to ship it back if you have any problems. Our shop had sold the same Panasonic head unit as Crutchfield and if we installed it, it came with a 1 year warranty where any other place is the typical 90 day warranty.

DIN and a half. That's what I need. I knew it was DIN something.

I want to go with a DIN and half because I think it will look more like it belongs there and less aftermarket. But I don't think many stores carry these anymore. I guess I will need to shop somewhere other than Best Buy. ;)

I first seen the Din and a half in Crutchfield but I havent looked at a new one in a couple of years. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for on the internet or an audio shop.