You can type here any text you want

champion irons identification?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2dark2c

Hi guys, new GN owner here.
I recently bought an 87 that I was told had champion iron heads on it, but the heads aren't stamped with the champion logo on them, like I've seen in pics from their website. I've got a receipt from the p.o. for them, but that really doesn't prove that the heads on the car are the ones on the receipt. So, is there any way to tell if they are or not, while they are still on the car? Thanks.

2dark2c said:
I'm assuming you mean theres no way to tell while they're on the car. ok, so if I pull them off, then what do I look for? what makes them different from stock? the port size?

There are a lot of reworked heads on these cars. You would have to compare with another head to get a decent answer. Early sets of champion heads aren't marked externally. The
biggest area improvement on these heads is under the valve. The bowls are heavily worked, they use a 1.77 intake valve with a much better airflow design on the valves and the valve job is blended to increase flow. The ports are sightly raised and widened and the shortt turn radius is easily worked. Basically the same thing you would find on any decent set of heads.

What's the date on the receipt? Not positive but I think Champion has been machining there name in the heads since at least 2005.

Back