Champion valve guides

D's GN

Hey guys, I have a question about the valve guides used in earlier champion aluminum heads (2004-2005) Has anyone seen them fall apart? Does the actual bronze piece in the exaust port break apart or does the lining the valve rides on?

If I pulled my headers off and did a visual inpection would I be able to "see" a problem? I think my guides were a bit sloppy to begin with, I always had a puff of smoke apon start up which would go away instantly.

Thanks

It was the much earlier versions of the Champion GN1's circa 1998 or so that had guides failures. They actually came apart in pieces and went out the exhaust port. The more recent versions have steel guides with K-line type liners. Those guides stay in one piece but wear at an accelerated rate.

Neal

Do these look like the newer versons...intake and exhuast pictures before install, 2005. bronze on the intake and steel exhuast? Did the actual exterior/outer part of the guides fall apart or the lined inner portion? I am pretty sure the TA headers are coming off for an inspection. Something went through the turbo...

Thanks

Attachments

• GN pics and GN1 heads 003.jpg
    GN pics and GN1 heads 003.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 254
  • GN pics and GN1 heads 008.jpg
    GN pics and GN1 heads 008.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 279
In 2003 we had a new motor built with new GN1 heads. The car smoked at idle and the heads were pulled and the engine builder said all the tolerences for the valve guides were out of spec, loose and all over the place. New valve guides solved the problem. I don't know how it is today, but back then, the customer had to do the quality check on new Champion heads. Piss poor quality is possible so if you get any new heads, measure and check everything to be sure you'll have no problems.

Those look like the 3rd version Champion heads to me. To answer your question: only the ones with the bronze guides fell apart. The steel guides haven't been a problem from that standpoint. Is it possible that a piece of weld material from the headers went through your turbo?

Neal

Do these look like the newer versons...intake and exhuast pictures before install, 2005. bronze on the intake and steel exhuast? Did the actual exterior/outer part of the guides fall apart or the lined inner portion? I am pretty sure the TA headers are coming off for an inspection. Something went through the turbo...

Thanks

I was talking to Jack Cotton about the problem and he also mentioned it may have been header slag/weld that went through the turbo and not likey the heads since they were the newer version. Hopefully it is not the heads, the thought of pulling the heads sucks bad! Thanks for your replies.

I have Champion steel heads on my car,and have the same issues with the valve guides sliding... The car has the same problems with smoking on start ups,etc.. The motor is apart right now,due to a melted piston.. The fuel pressure regulator vacuum line came off on a track run,and leaned the motor out. We will be going through the heads also, to correct the problem..

In 2003 we had a new motor built with new GN1 heads. The car smoked at idle and the heads were pulled and the engine builder said all the tolerences for the valve guides were out of spec, loose and all over the place. New valve guides solved the problem. I don't know how it is today, but back then, the customer had to do the quality check on new Champion heads. Piss poor quality is possible so if you get any new heads, measure and check everything to be sure you'll have no problems.

I've heard that the heads twist and "move around" after they are run through some hot and cold cycles. I know the Champions I have had to be re-done...surfaced, the valves grinded and receiver grooved again.