changed to power booster

Elmer Sampson

I just my brakes to 1987 Monte Carlo booster. They work great, But now when come to stop the engine stalls. Never had a problem before conversion. I used 3/8" fuel hose & plastic tee. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Assuming you mean vac brakes.....Sounds like your booster internals are leaking and causing a vac leak. Start car let idle.....shut off...pop hood...get out and pull the 90 degree check valve (part that line from manifold vac to booster connects to) off of booster. You will hear the stored vacum in the booster suck as it balances to the atmosphere. If not you booster and or check valve is bad

Assuming you mean vac brakes.....Sounds like your booster internals are leaking and causing a vac leak. Start car let idle.....shut off...pop hood...get out and pull the 90 degree check valve (part that line from manifold vac to booster connects to) off of booster. You will hear the stored vacum in the booster suck as it balances to the atmosphere. If not you booster and or check valve is bad
Thanks, that was my thinking too. I'll try that next.

I used 3/8" fuel hose & plastic tee. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Just my opinion, but after many years of vacuum brake conversions for customers, I do not use fuel line as it is not made for vacuum, but pressure.

I prefer to use OEM type 11/32" hydraulic hose like the factory does, and also with all the engine heat I have seen a couple plastic tees give up, brass is what I use.

Pulled check valve from booster & had hissing sound. Can't blow into inlet of check valve but can suck out. assume the valve is working

I would just add that T-ing in above the the PCV valve is an excellent location to get vacuum for brakes. There's no downside to it. Never had a problem in over 15 years on an assortment of turbo cars. On the other hand, I have used the TTA vacuum block and have had problems with them, plus I personally don't like the look of this big hose going from the throttle body to the booster. ;)

Some guys have said you need to also replace the pedal which is a PITA
Did you use stick pedal?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Check with FTS or Kirban. Some of the vendors sell an aluminum vacuum block with a dedicated port for vacuum brakes (like was used an 89 turbo trans am)

But thats the same vacuum source as the pcv.. how would that change anything?

The pin on the pedal for a vacuum booster is a different diameter, and is in a different location, for a Powermaster or the Hydroboost brake units,