Charging Problems

rickringle01

I recently repaired a cracked header on the driver’s side of my 87 T-Type. After replacing the header, the alternator would not charge the battery. The car would start and run for about 5 minutes, once the battery was drained it would shut off. So I replaced the alternator, an AC Delco. I jumped the car off, the battery was charging according to the volt meter. I took it out for a drive with my son the other night, lost all electrical power and the car shut off. I jumped it off and it ran great. Since then I have run the car and it has not missed a beat. I put a volt meter on the battery and it's reading 13.5. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is it possible that the new alternator is bad? or is this a symptom of a greater problem?

see if the alternator is putting out amps and have the battery tested.

ck to see if the battery light in the dash is working !!!!!
your charging system runs thru that bulb
if that bulb is bad the battery will not charge.

welding

if you weld on the car, make sure you disconnect the battery, or voltage will run backwards into your alternator and mess with electronics. i belive its called reverse polarity. good luck man!

Hi,
Everything shut off? Headlights too? Check your battery connections. Also, the car has a voltmeter? And you say it was showing a charging voltage.Check it with key on,engine off,then start the car and recheck it.As far as battery connections are concerned,bolts,cables and cable ends are readily available.The only other problem that might cause this is a connection at the bulkhead. C100, I think.Everything routes thrrough there. An alternator not charging would eventually drain the battery, but if the idiot light is working,the regulator will be receiving trigger voltage.
Good luck with your troubles.