Charging woes after alky kit install

bigmac_ns

Former Lurker
Similar problem to many, however, I didn't find a lot of different suspects when I read the search results.

The car isn't charging, it has a new battery and alternator. It started acting up just after I installed the Alky kit. I figured I screwed something up. I removed all power to the kit and lights. Still not charging. I checked the bulb for the VOLTS...it is good, but is not coming on. (switched it with a nearby one). Changed the 20amp with a known good one...nothing.

I checked the grounds by the battery...and rehooked them up again to different fender bolts (2 on 1 and 1 on the other). I didn't do anything to the harness that I know of.

Where should I be looking from here? Is there a place to search for power/resistance going down the brown wire w/o pulling every single wire out of the loom? Did I screw up at the grounds by the battery?

Suggestions? The cam sensor/crank sensor/engine strap issues just about burned me out and I got to drive it for a week. Now I'm back to a dead vehicle again...I'm still convinced it can be a reliable DD.

Loosen fasteners for speedo case, move it around until the volt lite comes on with key on. Tighten it back up making sure the volt lite stays on. Fixed.

Tried that too!

Edit - Thanks I appreciate the response, anyone else have ideas? I hate electrical gremlins.

Unplug the brown wire from the rear of the alternator and connect it to ground. Case of the alternator will work. Turn the ignition key on, don't start the engine. Does the Volts light come on? If yes, the alternator is the problem. If no, the Lamp Lead (brown wire) is the problem. Try that and report back.

David :)

Well...this is weird. I started checked the wire as directed above and the light came on. So...alternator is hooped I guessed. Another co-worker who knows his way around alternators comes over and we start talking about the plug and whatnot. We disconnect and look at the pins..reconnect and I turn the key while he's playing with the multimeter. I start the car and it wasn't charging.. We shut it off...pull the plug again and chat about what the pins do...stick it back on and argue about whether I have the right regulator.

I hop back in and go to start it and the light comes on...start the car back up and its charging. ??????

I've taken that wire off 20 times in the last 24 hours and somehow its working now.

So...thanks for the help, it looks like it was a connector problem? I'm really not sure at all, but I'm not questioning it.

FYI,

I put it back together and had the similar problem again. It looks like I'm having problems with the fit of the gauge cluster.

RED REGAL ...I think you nailed it the closest. Thanks.