Chassis, Brakes, Suspension Upgrade Questions

StealthRider

I have just purchased a T-top 1987 Grand National. My frame and suspension is not rusted through but has a lot of surface rust. Also my body bushings and suspension bushings need to be replaced. Being that I need to replace my body bushings I want to upgrade my suspension while the body bushings are getting replaced. Before I get my work done I have a few questions?

1) What can I do to get my car to handle and ride like a 2002 Trans Am WS6 or 2002 Camaro SS?

2) I know that poly bushings are harder and last longer than rubber bushings. If I use rubber body bushings and poly bushings on the front and rear suspension will I have a decent ride quality?

3) Should I have POR 15 on my frame or get it powdercoated? Which is best at preventing rust? Also how much does it usually run to get a car frame powdercoated?

Oh I almost forgot! What can I do to upgrade the front disc brakes and upgrade the rear drum brakes?

Wish that I had 20k for a restoration. Personaly I like por-15, works great with the right prep. You need to find out if the body mounts are rusted out. This where the body is bolted to the frame. It's the body sheet metal that rust out. You need to find someone in you area that knows what to look for and have them check out your car.

Brakes: you need to due a search in this forurm.

front suspension you need at leat a 36mm hollow swaybar check this thread out: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96721&highlight=sway+bar

for rearend suspension the GN guys like the HRPartsNStuff upper and lower control arms and anti roll/sway bar. I plan to go this setup for my rearend this winter.

You need decide what you what to due first, then divide up the work by what area. Decide on what work you are willing to due your shelf. The more work you are willing to due the more you will save.

Hope this helps you out. What you are asking does not have a quick and easy answer. It takes some research and time.

It has taken a year and a half for me to decide what I whant to due to my MCSS with a GN motor.

DUDE! You are a lucky man with that wallet for your suspension and brakes. I just put the Hotchkis Total Vehicle System and Tubular A-Arms with F body spindles and brakes on my car. I highly reccomend that for the suspension. You can find it at www.hotchkis.net and it ran just over $3,000. For the brakes I am lookin at Baer or Willwood. I think that Baer would be a better system for our cars though. They have up to 14" rotors and kits to have rear discs. 4 and 6 pot brakes, slotted and drilled rotors, one and two pice rotors, and stainless steel lines. They have the good stuff, but i dont know their price. Also if you want it to handle better get some bigger wheels like a 17". If you go with hotchkis get 8" or 8.5" width because the package lowers the car about an inch and those widths are safe without rubbing, I run 17 x 8. Get some BF Goodrich G-Force T/A's they will help your lateral g's. New stiffer body mounts, and since some TB's are missing some from the factory, get the missing mounts. Buy every chassis stiffing component also, to help your lateral g's. I am not talking about a roll cage. That should let you run with or better than the Trans Ams and have some moula left over.

Nick