You can type here any text you want

Check engine light low/Dim - Need Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SoCal83Turbo

Let me start by saying that this board has been alot of help getting the 83 turbo to running condition. I have a new problem. The tranny was acting up so I took it in for an overhaul. I got it back and the check engine light is very dim. I put the otc scanner and all it reads is NO DATA. I bought a reman. ECM thinking that this was the problem but the CEL is still dim. Any ideas of what it could be? Ther is still NO DATA and the tranny acts up once the car is warmed up. Need help from the experts. I took the guy that rebuilt the tranny on a drive and he says that it is not the tranny acting up but the engine. WTF should I do. I love the car but if it is not one thing its another.

The car drives good up until the car gets hot and the engine bogs down. I have a felling that the ECM is not communicating with all electronics. Any ideas......

The ECM has a fuse in the fuse panel. Start there. Do you have a factory shop manual. It has a step-by-step that addresses the check engine light not functioning properly.

I changed the fuse in the panel. The light is still dim and the OTC scanner does not pick up data.

The thing is that before I took the car in it ran great with exception of the tranny. I have the 1983 buick manual from buick. I have followed the wire diagrams and still no success. The car is still driveable up until it gets hot. I can run it for about 20 miles non stop and then it will start to act up.

At this point I have thrown alot of funds into this car and I'm getting frustrated. This car will have to be put in the garage and tagged a project car. What was I thinking when I bought this car as a daily driver. It's still a fun car to drive but ......................

What I will have to do is go through all wiring. This will be a pain but will get me better acquainted with the t-type.

By the way do you think that there might be a wire(s) around the tranny that could have been removed? Also do you think that I could have fried the Prom?

If you aren't getting data, I still think you have a power to the ECM problem. The manual should have a check engine light diagnosis. Not an emissions diagnosis, but one for the malfunctioning light itself. There is an ECM 'driver' under the dash that may not be working. There also is a power wire to the ECM that could be check to see if it has 12 volts. I suspect your PROM is OK.

Find the section that troubleshoots the check engine light. I believe a dim bulb is mentioned. Look just before the emission code flowcharts.

There is a ground strap from the top trans bellhousing bolt to the firewall. Maybe they forgot to reattach it?

If you do need the ECM driver it is the same for every electronic carb GM car out there(Park Ave, Cadillac,etc) so dont worry about it being Carb-turbo specific. I mention the Park Ave because it is the easiest to get to. Remove the right side dash trim and it should be staring you in the face. Replacing it on a Regal is a little harder though.

I've checked behind the glovebox and noticed a device that looks like a map sensor. Is this it? Sorry I haven't responded lately but I'm not on the computer alot. The ECM gets power. This weekend I will check to see if the strap is connected to bell housing.

Even with out the check engine light working this baby is nice to drive.

That would be the BARO sensor. It's basically a MAP sensor from a NA engine (blue connector insead of orange).

The ECM driver is above the glove box, maybe a little to the left. It's about the same size as the MAP sensor.

I believe I found the ecm driver. How do I check it? If it is not working, where would I possibly find it?

Thanks for all you help.

Thanks b4black and turbofish38 for your help. I went to the Junk yard ( not junk but precious metal) and recoverd two drivers - only two regals in the whole yard. The CEL is functioning. I did the diagnostic chart with the 83 book and removed the driver - my brothers actually did and long story short, my brother is now the proud owner on condition he sell it back if he no longer wants it. He has put a great deal of sweat into the car getting into the running condition it is in now. The OTC is reading everything. Finally done and now I have another issue.

Now I am not sure if I have a transmission problem or engine problem. It runs good at cold but once it is driven about ten miles it starts to shift weird. Getting off the Freeway and slowing down the transmission stays at the high gears. Once I get close to a stop it goes through the lower quick and on acceleration it wants to shut off. Can the transmission cause this? Before the trans rebuild the only problem was the gears slipping. The day I took it in to complain about the CEL, I made the mistake and also told about the trans problem. We took it for a test drive and was told that it was the engine not the trans. I feel that the trans is the problem.

On a different note, I went to the GM show at Balboa Park today. At lot of Nice muscle cars and classics. I did see from far a White t-type as it was leaving, but would have prefered a close up.

Torque Convertor Clutch is staying locked up. The TCC solenoid is sticking. Very common in '80's GM's and easy to fix. Try checking on www.gnttype.org for instructions.

Gald to here the ECM is working again. :)

Back