You can type here any text you want

Check engine light on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

Well I'm one step closer. I got my o2 sensor and ECM temp sender installed and I cleaned up the wire harness under the hood. I am now looking at stage two. Fine tuning so I decided to check for codes and of course my check engine light is burnt out. After replacing it I find out that it's always on.....my heart sunk a little. Is this a clear indicator that my ECM Is fried. This thing won't cut me a break. On the upside it starts pretty decently now.....idles rough but I won't knit pick the poor girl she's been neglected for the last few years.

Alright I got it to throw a code 21 high tps voltage and a 42 Ecs ground. When I have a and b jumpered the mix solenoid is chattering. Is this normal?

Last edited:
The TPS is inside the carb. It can be adjusted, but usually the adjustment doesn't go bad. If the carb has been apart before, they are easy to break. I need to fix this same problem on my '83 before spring. The white connector in the picture sticks out the front driver's side of the carb. Three wires.

TPS1.jpg

I'm not sure on the ESC ground. I think you mentioned a bad knock sensor. The factory shop manual should have a flowchart for DTC 42. The MC Solenoid noise is normal with the jumper installed. Good news is your ECM is alive and kicking. :)

Hell ya haha. I've even got better new. There was a box of parts int trunk when I got the car and I decided to have a little peak. Turns out I got what looks to be a brand new knock sensor. The porcelain type material that is below the contact is broke on the one that is in it so this little treasure will save me a few bucks. Most of the stuff in there was for existing egr valves and other related tubing. But not a complete loss. There's also a dual jet. I'm thinking the original carb from the 80 motor? I cleaned the contacts of the tps and still have the code. Might need a set up. O well the car runs and the boost gauge works. I'm starting to feel like it's coming around haha

Hey hey. Had another look found a new o2 sensor to bad I just bought one and what looks like a new in a zip loc bag map sensor. And a mount for my cruise vac diaphram( the one on it is broke). I also found the name of the guy that was originally restoring we back In the early 2000s on an email from gm with a code breakdown so I might be giving this guy a creepy call lol

I rechecked the code and it's an est ground failure not esc. And I have three est modules in the trunk. This day keeps getting better. Are they the same for all years or are there some difference. With my uneducated eyes they look the same. How can I test them to find out if they are working. Plug and try. In all honesty I didn't even know what one of these things did let alone where it was located until now. Thank you turbo buick forum and google. You guys are the best especially b4black. You've had an answer to every question I've asked.

Great news on finding a knock sensor. That's worth $100! The 1980 turbo motor would have a non-electronic quadrajet. If the Dualjet is electronic, then the TPS would swap over.

ESC = Electronic Spark Control, or the knock retard system. ESC modules are specific to 1982. There were two different styles. One a large box (about 4"x6"), the other is a smaller, sealed unit (2x3). Both fit under the dash board. In 1983 and later, the ESC module was moved to the engine compartment.
EST = Electronic Spark Timing, which is the distributor. Turbo and NA engines with computers use the same distributor. Double check this wiring.

You're making great progress. Good work. It will be good to see another '82 back on the road. :)

That's for a fuel injected 3.8. Three coils mount on top. They were used in the 1990's and on. Part of a distributor-less ignition system.

4024713800coilp_00000021319.jpg

That makes sense cause there are two coil packs in the box too. The est module is in the distributor correct? My knock sensors terminal is loose so I'm guessing that's what is wrong with the system. There isn't much to go wrong with this system other then those two components. I was able to track down the owner that did the work. Good news is the motor and top end was rebuilt 30,000 km ago. He lost the 82 intake in the two years it took him to rebuild the motor. He used a custom weighted vac hei distributor instead. But I'm going to put everything (minus the air pump) back to stock. This guy is going to go through his stuff and pull all the info on his repairs. I had it rolling the other day just to get a little satisfaction for all my hard work. It wasn't doing any brake torque wheel spins haha. Obviously with the tps and etc out of wack. It bogged and popped but once the rpms got up she would spool and take off. :).

Back