You can type here any text you want

Checked for cracked header while on car

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

l3lue

Hey everybody, what is the best way to check for header cracks while the headers on the car ??

I use a piece of 3/8 hose about 4' long. Stick one end in your ear and use the other to scan suspected areas.

Fasten some thin strips of tissue on end of a skinny stick and probe around the headers. The tissues will move if you get near a crack. For obvious reasons, make sure your fans are not running while you do this.

I used a shop vac blower on one of the tail pipes and a rag wrapped over the other one (the engine wasn't running obviously). I used a spray bottle with soapy water and watched for bubbles (you can also hear the leaks). I found cracks in the usual places. There was also a leak at the dp and the turbo. This method worked for me but I'm no mechanic.

I found the last cracked header by getting under the car, using a hi intensity lite, and looking at the underside of the dr header. As thot, it was cracked big time. It went in the scrap, and a replacement TA header was used.

Back