You can type here any text you want

Checking actual timing with Buick DIS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

10SV6

Can somebody give me some info on how to go about checking actual timing to the balancer on a Buick DIS with a FAST B2B.

I tried bringing the revs over 2000 with 2 different lights and the timing I was reading was way too far advanced to be actual. The balancer mark was checked to the timing pointer when the engine was put together.

On the dyno I was able to run a whole lot more timing than I expected. The motor has a BHJ balancer that I don't trust. I've got it to the point where I'm ready to put real boost to it and I'd like to have a little more confidence in where the timing actually is.

Paul

Knowing the pointer is correct so you have a good known 0 timing mark that was checked . Pick a rpm range like 1500 to 2000 and make that part of the map all 20deg. Then with a timing light that has no dial shoot the marks on the balancer rev the car to the areas in the table you set to 20deg. If the timing is not 20deg go to the ref angle and change it from the defalt 10 to 5 and see if you went the right way:) My
BHJ balancer needed a ref angle of 3 to make the timming jive with the actual timing marks. In the dash board bring up the Spark (BTDC) so you can watch it and make sure its 20Deg so you know the computer thinks it is. If your trying to use a timing lite that has a dial its half of what the dial says so just turn it to zero and use the marks on the balancer:)

Gene is right and we had to do the same thing with ours too.

I played with crank reference angle to get the light to match what was on the timing map.

Strangley enough 10 degrees on the crank reference angle was just right for the motor.

Back