Chip Guru's Inlighten Me Please.

BoostedBug

Contents Under Pressure
I have a couple questions on chips.

I have a J Lubrant 93 octane 22psi 22 degrees timing chip.

What happens if I run it at 18psi instead? Or if I crank it past 22 to 24? Is the chip designed to run at peak perfromance at 22 psi? Do you get into fuel/air/timing problems if you exceed the boost recomendations or do not meet them?

Just curious as this has me stumped.

Well the chip has X amout of fuel delivery programmed into it.
Joe was probably figuring that the A/F ratio will be close at 22 psi.
If you run 18 psi it may run rich, or run lean if you have 24 psi.
Start with 22 as Joe said and watch your 02 or egt and move the boost or FP accordingly.
Steve

Let me throw another variable in......

What are these numbers based on..Stock?

What if I have a 70mm throttle body and Upper with a ported lower and champion heads? The air voluum will be allot greater wouldn't it?

Is this why the max effort is such a good setup as you can compensaite for these variables?

(Don't forget our bud Boosted Bug/Steve is running propane. How would or could a chip burnt for a propane injected car be different...i.e., more leeway on advance, etc.?)

TIA!!

:)

A 70 TB on a semi stock setup probably won't make much or any differance. With heads and a turbo it will start to have an effect.

The chip simply puts out X amount and with propane the whole combo may be too rich. I don't know what you have.

More boost and more timing makes for a need for more fuel and more octane.

Not here to push maxefforts but the fuel output can be easily modified for your needs. T+ has the same capabilities as well.

Once you throw a bunch of propane at it who knows what duty cycle you need to run in the chip....you just have to play around with it.

Steve

Originally posted by BoostedBug
I have a couple questions on chips.

I have a J Lubrant 93 octane 22psi 22 degrees timing chip.

What happens if I run it at 18psi instead? Or if I crank it past 22 to 24? Is the chip designed to run at peak perfromance at 22 psi? Do you get into fuel/air/timing problems if you exceed the boost recomendations or do not meet them?

Just curious as this has me stumped.

Steve,

BTW I normally do not burn 93 octane chips with 22 deg's for 22 psi. I would think something in the area of 18-20 deg. would be more appropriate, and even then it wouldn't support 22psi without knock. If your using the chip with higher octane then possibly yes.

Was this some sort of special request chip??

What Injectors are you running?

As far as none adjustable single chip programs go, they are usually done for a specific application etc. with turbo, boost, timing, and octane being the major considerations.
Deviations from the original intent will require at minimum fuel pressure adjustments and/or octane changes to suit.

Joe,

I bought a set of Injectors froma a fella that where 009's. He gave me your chip and said it was 93 octane 22 degrees timing and 22psi. He said you burned it for Alky. I also got a 108 chip that is a cottons w/26 degrees of timing.

With your chip I can run 24 lbs of boost with 0 knock on the pro-pane. I was curious to what happens when you exceed the chips recomendations? I was just using your's for an example. I have to admit though, it has to be the best chip I ever ran in my car. I love it!

Where my curiousity came in is a a friend has the pro-pane system like mine, but he can only get 18psi out of it without knock on 93 octane. The big diffrence is he has a J Jackson throttle body/upper setup and ported gn-1's.

He is running a red's 93 chip that is setup for 17psi. If he cranks it to 20 he gets 2 degrees of retard. Is this because of the extra voluum of air being moved through the motor? His o2's are at 810 to 830 so it doesn't seem to be lean. I just thought he was exceeding the chip....

yea he is moving way more air than you are. so 17 psi on his big head motor is like 26 on yours!

Originally posted by BoostedBug
Joe,

I bought a set of Injectors froma a fella that where 009's. He gave me your chip and said it was 93 octane 22 degrees timing and 22psi. He said you burned it for Alky. I also got a 108 chip that is a cottons w/26 degrees of timing.

With your chip I can run 24 lbs of boost with 0 knock on the pro-pane. I was curious to what happens when you exceed the chips recomendations? I was just using your's for an example. I have to admit though, it has to be the best chip I ever ran in my car. I love it!

Where my curiousity came in is a a friend has the pro-pane system like mine, but he can only get 18psi out of it without knock on 93 octane. The big diffrence is he has a J Jackson throttle body/upper setup and ported gn-1's.

He is running a red's 93 chip that is setup for 17psi. If he cranks it to 20 he gets 2 degrees of retard. Is this because of the extra voluum of air being moved through the motor? His o2's are at 810 to 830 so it doesn't seem to be lean. I just thought he was exceeding the chip....

Steve

No doubt your friends car, if set-up identically to yours (except heads), would be moving more air at less boost. I would say the heads alone would account for possibly 3-4 psi difference.

There are still plenty of variables from car to car as to how a specific chip will run. I am not sure what Red has in his 009 93 chips? Timing rate/level, or fueling rate/duty cycle?

Maybe you and your friend could compare differences with swapping the chips between the cars?

In any event I doubt he would be able to run the 24psi that you are running, due to his increased air flow vs boost.

Adjustabe type chips as offered by Steve Y., MM, or others would be advantages to you for finer tuning if you feel it necessary.

Glad the chip is working fine for your application.

I would not change it for anything except a 108 octane race chip form you...I would like to know a price on one with the boost at 22 psi for my 009's. Please feel free to email me directly.

turbobuick@bellsouth.net

Joe Lubrant

I have one of your chips in my daily driver (see sig. below) and was wondering what you would recommend for the strip. I will be adding a SMC Alky kit this weekend to my combo, but I am thinking when I go to the track, I want to run straight C16. If you feel I may need more than one additional chip, that is fine. I will buy the chip(s) from you. Thanks...

MaxEffort would work great but O'l Joe is pretty crafty and if he knows about how much alcohol you are sprayng he may be able to get it close on a single chip...

You doing ok Joe? Do you have your head above water yet with the job?

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Y
MaxEffort would work great but O'l Joe is pretty crafty and if he knows about how much alcohol you are sprayng he may be able to get it close on a single chip...

You doing ok Joe? Do you have your head above water yet with the job?

Steve

not alcohol, i run propane

Hey Vader I'll let you know about the ME and propane when OGS gets some kits in, they said a few weeks. I've got a different set up than you but the ME chip will be the last you'll ever have to buy and add the sparklator from RC and it gets that much better. I'll have it all in a few weeks and confident the car will scream.
Dan

Originally posted by 87gn-newbee
I'll have it all in a few weeks and confident the car will scream.
Dan

Damm I would scream to if I had a Ranger shoving his foot through me....

Won't be long now Dan....

Steve looks like I'll be here for the BG trip. Found out today my orders got deferred for 90 days so I don't leave here until June. The wife is happy knowing I'm not going on any deployments but I'm not to thrilled. :( DA guy said it might not take that long they just have to get there crap together. Now you can follow me up there and if your car doesn't make it maybe you can follow in my draft :D Talk to ya over the weekend
Dan