You can type here any text you want

chip or DFI question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rtviper

Take a car that has the parts to run low 9s and make a few passes at the track and average about 10.5 at 128mph with only 20 lbs of boost and shifting at 6k. You have a 60ft of 1.55. This is done with a stock ecm and maff using a chip. Now all you change is adding a DFI, Fast or ??. Using the DFI to tune tha car and then running at the track using the same launch, shift points and boost, and assuming same 60 ft what could you expect to improve on the ET and MPH if any ? IT is a Stage motored car. Thanks

I don't understand the question.

Are you asking if a DFI will make more HP than a stock ECM. With the exception of the MAF, the simple answer is no. Why do you think it would?

I guess what I am trying to understand is will a stock ecm and custom chip produce the same power as you can achieve with a DFI setup? Will the ability to tune with a DFI produce more power then the chip will with the same injectors I am new to the buick craze and always see a remark that with proper tuning the car will run a lot faster. Can you achieve this proper level of tuning with a stock ECM and custom chip? Hope it makes sense what I am trying to understand. Then why buy the DFI if you can continue to purchase chips to meet you goals?

Originally posted by rtviper
Then why buy the DFI if you can continue to purchase chips to meet you goals?

Because that is a PITA. A DFI lets you tune your car in real time. Unless your going to race in a class that requires a stock ECM or if you just want to look cool running 9's with a stock ECM, you really should step up to a wideband O2 type of DFI.

They should both make the same HP with a "perfect tune". The DFI will just get you to the perfect tune quicker on your own.

Originally posted by rtviper
I guess what I am trying to understand is will a stock ecm and custom chip produce the same power as you can achieve with a DFI setup? Will the ability to tune with a DFI produce more power then the chip will with the same injectors I am new to the buick craze and always see a remark that with proper tuning the car will run a lot faster. Can you achieve this proper level of tuning with a stock ECM and custom chip? Hope it makes sense what I am trying to understand. Then why buy the DFI if you can continue to purchase chips to meet you goals?

If you were to go with a Translator Plus, or MAFLESS ME, you could tune, the car to run in the 10s. Plus with those two systems they limit the tune, so you don't get too lost.

The stock ecms have been into the 9s.

Some folks like how simple the DFIs are. But, you might note, they're getting more and more sophisticated with each new generation, in order to make the cars as drivible as possible.

The stock ecms can be found for $50, and updated to run the big injectors for ~$150. So for $200 you could have a spare, or even $50. Lose an aftermarket ecm, and you might be without it for a few days, while it gets fixed, and fixing an ecm ain't cheap.

this might answer your question.

here are 2 examples of stock Vs. DFI. I ran 13.50 with 36# injectors lettin the trans do the shifting with consistent bad 60 ft. times of 2.3 on a stock computer with the down pipe open. Install the DFI back to the track car now runs 13.20 with same injector and bad 60 ft. times but the big thing is I never opened the down pipe.three tenths faster thru the full hooker exhaust. Second example is Hybrid rx7 with gn setup but steep 4.10 gears. car went 12.50's with stock ecm and chip.....install DFI car picks up a full second. Dont have mph on the rx7. The trick is having someone that really knows how to adjust the values in the program to make the car run good. I dont have a clue, but I have a friend in Chicago that is insanely great at tuning. The best part of the DFI system is U go out and get a set of bigger injectors, and you dont have to spend 200 on a chip that works so so with the mod. Just make the right adjustment and your all good.

Brer Rabbit thanks thats what I was wondering about. The use of bigger injectors is a real plus with the DFI. Plus if Iwant to run in the 9s the DFI will allow that

Turbo-Archie your comments were a big help also. I get what you were trying to tell me it makes more sense tunning with the DFi system or like, then guessing with chips each time a mod is made like bigger injectors or different track conditions like higher altitudes etc etc. Thanks

Back