You can type here any text you want

Chipped my cam gear, now what?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

davidf

Upon removing my timing cover I did not remove the cam sensor 1st. I thought it would be ok to do that. I found a tiny chip of metal and turned out to be the edge of the camshaft gear {outside edge}. It's a small chip but I'm worried that I may have to replace the cam shaft.:frown: I really don't want to tear it that far apart. Is there any danger? I worry that missing piece may affect the sensor gear. Any proffesional advice? Thank you.

I chipped mine years ago as well. I just knocked off any sharp edges and it has been fine ever since. Snap a pic....

I agree with WSLN 6, use a Dremel and carefully dress the edge of where the chip is. That happened to me helping a friend install a 455 into a 76 Limited and he wanted to use the HEI. Chipped 3 teeth. I dressed them with my Dremel and it was all good.

You guys are making me feel more at ease. Hopefully a pic will seal my fate.:rolleyes: Hopefully I can get it tonight. FWIW, it's a kick in the balls when it happens.:mad:

Back