chips and timing

T

Turboaddict

up to what timing are street chips? Race chips? I have 21 degree timing chip. Would that be a street chip? What timing do race chips start at?

That's really a loaded question. Let me try to answer it as best I can. Back in the day (getting all nostalgic here), 21 degrees would have been considered the norm for a street chip. In fact, I think some companies still sell street chips with around that for timing in them.

However, the current quality of gasoline today simply doesn't support that kind of timing on pump gas with any reasonable amount of boost.

Personally, 21 degrees is a bit low for me to even be a 100 octane chip but if you crank a lot of boost in it, it should work.

As far as strip chips, it really depends on your application. Anywhere from 25-36 degrees can work if it's suitable to what you plan to do with the car. Keep in mind that everyone has their own idea about what it takes to go fast. Some people like low boost, some people like higher boost, some peoiple like insane boost. When setting up a chip for someone you need to know these things so that they don't come home from the track with a head gasket hanging out the side of the block.

True, the factory was 22*, but also at 14psi. I was thinking of the average Joe running 19psi.

You're right Jay, but 21-22* is kinda hot for todays pump gas and high boost. Least the crappy gas here in NJ.