You can type here any text you want

Choke light on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

brownsuga-inc

"hello i have just purchased a 1980 3.8turbo Monte Carlo. after working on a few kinks that i had and starting and letting it idle a few times maybe 4 times in an hour or so ..the choke light came on and has not turned off...after referring to the owners manual it said that i could do major damage to the car by running it with that light on...my question is where should i start in trying to fix the issue (whatever that may be) and or what part could it be that is gone or going bad?..thanks in advance for your response"..

since this is my first turbo charged vehicle...what should i do that would make any sort of (horse)power increase for the car...ps trying to stay on the inexpensive side of things to start..not needing a track burner just want to get it moving a little better:cool:

thanks for the reply

I had checked the oild before and it seemed to be at a decent level but I will check it again when I get home and see if maybe something happened. Really hope its something simple like that. Thanks again

I think that happend to me some time ago. I believe there's a fuse on the fusebox for the choke. The oil light comes on when you either have a oil issue, or the plug on the sending unit pops off, (they're made of rubber and over a period of time they get as hard as a rock).

That happened to me a few times especially after I had done some serious work on it.

wow thanks

hey thats great info ... i did check the oil and it was still full but now i will go back and check that fuse around the choke itself...thanks very much everyone for all your help

that actually makes alot of since especually since i was messing with the fuse box just before it came on

It's electrical in nature. If you want to "cheat" then cut the wire on the choke and splice it into the white wire on the alternator. It will kill the light and give direct power to the choke only when the alt is producing power.

The choke light will come on when the are alternator problems.

Oil pressure problems turn on the oil light. ;)

well it did go off today pretty much by itself. i had hoped to have some time to work on it because it may come on again but it may be a few days before i can really dig into it and check out some of the remedies you have all givin me..i will keep everyone posted... i did find a lose 4 pronged white connector up near the carb but havent been able to to see where it goes...i will attempt to add some pictures of it in case someone knows what it is..it may actuallly be a part of the problem

here's a picture of the attachment

ok im hoping im doing this right... please take a look at the two pictures... hopefully someone can spread some light on where i need to look to plug it in... there are so many vacuum tubes and wires around it that i am lost on where to look

Attachments

• IMG00110.jpg
    IMG00110.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG00111.jpg
    IMG00111.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 119
yep thats the trans plug like jim said...i know if the oil switch is unplugged that will cause the light to stay on,

ok thanks all as sooon as it freakin stops snowing out here i wil get to putting it back on lol. No its not in a garage but it IS covered tight!

Back