classic car question...

orion681

Too fast?...I think not!
ok theres this little dealership around here that usually deals with used merceedes and bmws and other stuff, but they have this 50's vintage looking car there that im not familiar with, and maybe you guys could shine some light. on the rear quarter panel, it just said "edsel". and the front was very distinctive looking with a big grill that was tall and narrow with slots running vertically. it was all pointy like a real old caddy and it was a convertible. any ideas?

Wasn't Edsel made by Ford? All of em were ugly...not sure how quality they were.

The Edsel was an acutal car company like Mercury is to Ford. I believe that the Edsel lineup was supposed to under the Lincoln and above the Fords in luxery level. They did not sell very well, because there was not really a market for them and people thought they were ugly.

The Edsels came with FE power if I remember correctly. It would be cool to get one as a crusier because you do not see them everyday. It would be expensive to make them go fast. Hoped that this helped. Have fun.

The Edsel is known in as the biggest automotive flop in history, even bigger than the astek. It was named for Henry Ford's son "Edsel"

The Edsel was actually a good car, and had safety features that were ahead of it's time. It didn't fit well with what was marketable at the time though, which was tailfins and lots of chrome.:)

man those cars are ugly, and it seems that a lot of cars from back then were 'ahead of there time'

for instance take the tucker... or the 54 (i believe) Buick Le Sabre

that was a sick car, the Le Sabre i mean, it had something like a supercharged 240ci V8 that produced 330hp 400ft/lbs (this is recalling from memory) and it mixed alchcol and gas in the intake... it also had power windows cruise control, wrap around glass, and a bunch of other stuff that i cant remember... it was nice...

-neil

The Tucker WAS ahead of it's time. Triple headlights with the middle one turning with the steering assembly. Damn big car company's put him out of business very deliberately and very cruelly. Find a Tucker and it'll command more than that Superbird I bet.

Good movie too.

I think the Edsel is a neat car. I would love to own an Edsel convertible just because they are ugly and not popular. How many '57 Chevy's can one look at? That's one reason I got into Buick's in the first place back in '83. No one was into them.

well there's one for sale in west long branch, NJ. if i can get ahold of my dads digicam, i will see about posting some pics just for giggles.