You can type here any text you want

cleaning GN1 valve covers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSX-PKV

What is the best way to clean/polish GN1 aluminum valve covers with that rough surface? I got mine looking fairly nice, but want them to look great. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks! Paul

I know this is an old post but I'm
having the same problems with my GN1 covers. Did you figure it out?

Attachments

• 20170610_193420_1497138035111.jpg
    20170610_193420_1497138035111.jpg
    791 KB · Views: 99
I know this is an old post but I'm
having the same problems with my GN1 covers. Did you figure it out?

I'm not sure what type of finish you're looking for, but here are some suggestions.

If you want to keep the rough finish, I would suggest a liquid or gel type metal polish and a wire brush. Work it back and forth to clean the texture.

If you want to make them like chrome, use a 220 grit flapper wheel on a grinder or drill, then wet sand with 400 grit followed by 1000, then 1500 or 2000 grit. Hit it with metal polish and a polishing wheel on a drill.

If you would like a satin finish, use the metal polish after the 400 grit.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks. Great info. I just installed them and in the process got oil all over them when I tore my rubber gloves. They weren't easy to install. Took a little time , Beer and cursing.
Once again thanks. I'll let you know how they turned out.

Simple green, brush then rinse. Will remove all the oil and grease.
I sprayed some clear engine paint on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the simple green and aluminum polish and even engine degreaser ... Still looks like crap. A little better but crap none the less. Has anybody tried that aluminum paint from Eastwood? Designed for painting aluminum. I got to do something.

Sand the shit out of them with an electric sander as mentioned above. Or take them to get powdercoated.

Took a while to get them on. Lord knows I don't want to take them off again.

Well I tried simple green again and on the advise of a friend that I use Eagle One wheel cleaner. Completely screwed them up. Looks terrible. .

I guess I'll take them off again and powder coat them. Thanks for all the advise everybody.

Back