Clear Coating

87Turbo-TWE4

I still have the original lacquer paint on my car (34,0000 miles) and wanted to have it re-clearcoated. What is the usual cost of this?

Chances are a shop won't just clear the car. The paint is so thin on these cars the second they sand it to prep it for paint they will blow right through the paint. It will have to be repainted. You get what you pay for when it comes to paint work. Price will vary from shop to shop and on how much work is involved in prepping your particular car.

you cant just clear over lacquer paint. the solvents in the paint never fully cure out so if you put an enamel or urethane over it chances are in time it will lift. the only way to do it right is to have it stripped

Here in Canada at my shop, a complete strip (of paint and any removable part needed to be taken off for paint) and paint (which is what I'm doing to my 86 turbo t right now) would be at least $8000. But thats a quality, fully blocked, primed and blocked again, cleared, cut and polished job. A good 100 man hours to do it properly. Making sure everything is straight is very time consuming. I spent 4 hours today just blocking a door lol. and that was on top of my 4 other customer jobs I was doing :) (customers jobs can wait behind the T-type lol)

Ya you don’t want to base clear over that lacquer I decided to paint my fire wall myself while the engine was out to touch up some bad spots and I tried to do it and as soon as the fresh paint hit the lacquer it looked like I sprayed it with paint stripper the original lacquer shrunk and everything wrinkled up it was horrible I had to totally start over and strip it all down to the bare metal. I’m no professional painter so maybe there is a way around this but I’m just glad I wasn’t touching up the hood or something.

Shop around and ask people who is good and go by reputation. My 86 was original paint faded and checked all over it was rough! I got prices fom 4k to 7k then my friends dad restores cars and told me to take it to his painter so i did he charged me 3k it is absolutely perfect! He is picking up my 87 tomorrow he is doing that one for $3200 but im also doing floor pans in that one. He pulled fender, bumpers, doors, hood, all windows, seats, carpet, headliner & painted both sides of everything he could.

Attachments

• Grand Nationals 015.jpg
    Grand Nationals 015.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 92