You can type here any text you want

clicking sound

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CJ's6

i get a clicking sound coming from under dash area when i apply the brake, my brake light is flashing on when i 1st apply the brake as well. the light will not usually come on if i apply the brake easily, but will come on if i hit the brake quick. would this be 1st stages of powermaster motor going bad. i have had a rebuilt pm on the car for about 5 or 6 years.

I would guess accumulator ball.

Try this...open the hood and depressurize the system with 10 pedal pumps and the key off. Turn the key back on and listen if the motor runs. If the motor just clicks, or starts and stops in less than a second, it's your accumulator. The diaphram is blown and the pump deadheads. This sends false signals through the pressure switch and cuts the motor on and off.

clicking (pm issues)

thanks, i will try this tonite. i am thinking about going with the vac conv. anyway. it will be a matter of time b-4 the pm craps out, and i really do not want to spend money on the pm anymore.

Everyone has their preferences, I prefer the PowerMaster. It is an excellent system if maintained properly. Vacuum brakes work, but have thier downfalls. Any brake system will fail if not taken care of. The vacuum has larger room for error.

If it helps, the PowerMaster likes to be kept clean. It likes clean fluid. If you fluid is dark, you need to change it...completely. Flush you system with good fluid. Your PM will thank you for it.

thanks for the info. my fluid does look dark,probably needs to be flushed thouroughly and replaced with fresh fluid. let me ask you another question while on this subject. i replaced my front brake pads this past weekend. when i used the tool to spread caliper some brake fluid came out of the mc and ran down underneath the car, (forgot to take some fluid out of mc before spreading calip.) wiped up brake fluid from underneath best as i could. when i went to test drive after finishing brake job, the car almost died under accel and set a ses light @ that time. car ran rough going back home. got her home and checked code with DS and was code 42 est, ign module, etc.
could the brake fluid have gotten on anything to cause this condition. the car started running fine and the code has not come back. any thoughts on this?

I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. I am not aware of any part of the main wiring harness under the area of the PM, but as the PM is electrical the harness attaches to it at the motor and the switch. The condition of the harness itself could have something to do with it. Unless you had some spray happening I really don't see it. The computer doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the brake system and the PM.

Maybe someone with in depth knowledge of the ign mod can chime in?

thanks, just thought this was wierd, everything cleared out, and car ran fine.

Back