You can type here any text you want

CNC stepped injector bungs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KendallF

Blah blah blah
I'm taking a CNC machining class this term and thought I'd make some new injector bungs for my first project. I wanted some with a radiused step for the o-ring to seat on and nobody makes them that I know of. :)

Take a look; I've included some screen shots from the CNC program (Mastercam) as well as some pictures of the finished product. You can either click on my web site in my signature and click "What's New" for a link, or for the navigationally impaired, here it is:

http://home.attbi.com/~frederik/misc/bungs.htm

Kendall,

You are one pretty cool dude with all the stuff you are learning.
Want to move to California and wrench on my junk ??? =)

Cool Project!!!

Originally posted by John Wilde
Want to move to California and wrench on my junk ??? =)

John, I don't have enough time to wrench on my own junk..but I do like California. :) I used to live in San Diego and I currently have a company there doing development work for me; I go back there and up to Pt. Mugu (Oxnard/Ventura) frequently. Now if only a 2 bedroom house wasn't $300k...

Originally posted by STP
Where are you taking these classes Kendall?

Hey Scott, this class is at FCCJ's machine shop. I take something there almost every term as it gives me great tool access. They have several Haas CNC mills and lathes, as well as conventional machines. That's where I learned to weld also. I am probably one of the few electronics engineers who's been asked to take the vocational math placement test (I had to send them a transcript to get out of it.. :D ).

When you are in the neighberhood I bet you stop by duttweiler's!!! =) I wish a 2 bedroom was only $300K.
My wife and I looked at 2 last weekend.
$519K and $539K 2 bedrooms and too close to the freeway.

Yes, a 175 should be able to do the job just fine. The castings are fairly crappy aluminum so clean the heck out of it before you try welding.

cnc machining

Well done grasshopper :)
Very nice first project, congrats :cool:

a 175 would work, i hope its a square wave machine, they blow ther the oxidation better than the sine waave machines, even if you clean it really good it always seems to have oxidation somewhere, when i do intakes i usually preheat the part with a large propane torch, thats a big hunk of aluminum and it sucks the heat out of the weld REALLY FAST, and with a 175 amp machine even with it right to the rug your going to be close on the ammount of heat required, i usually put my machine on 15-225 amp range and hit it fast and hard at first with the heat to get the heat in the part quick then back her down to mabe the 175 range and move the torch fast, but thats just my experiance.
Grant

Nice job on the injector bungs. I am taking my second term of CNC classes. We use Feature CAM. How do you like Master CAM, I have not had a chance to play with a copy yet?

Mmmm. Donuts. Yeah, I know I already used that joke on the big list. I just couldn't resist. :D

Originally posted by 68 stang
Nice job on the injector bungs. I am taking my second term of CNC classes. We use Feature CAM. How do you like Master CAM, I have not had a chance to play with a copy yet?

MasterCam is pretty neat. The CAD portion is probably not as easy to use as SolidEdge (I'm somewhat familiar with that from work) but it's powerful once you figure out the menus.

I don't have any prior CNC program experience to compare to, but the tooling features are pretty cool. It only takes a few minutes to define fairly complex shapes and the machine paths to cut them.

Back