Code 24, Speedo Inop, stock analog gauge cluster.

HouTX87

Check engine light came on today, Code 24 vehicle speed signal. I then notice the speedometer is not working and mph on the scanmaster also shows zero. The car has the original analog speedometer. Is this most likely the speedo cable? I was thinking I could disconnect the speedo cable under the hood near the firewall and then lift the rear of the car and see if the cable is spinning in drive. The vss sensor shows to be after the the speedometer on alldata. I did a search here for this but most of the info I found was related to problems with aftermarket gauges.

Thanks, I won't be able to check it out until this weekend but I went ahead and ordered a speedo cable from rockauto because it could use one anway. AC Delco #88959481. At least I will have it if I need it. It's going in either way.

unhook the cable at the trans.. hook a drill up to it and spin it in reverse.. it should read 60mph on the speedo if your drill goes to 1000 rpm.. if that checks out, then pull the gear out of the trans and look at that- i've seen the hole where the cable goes into the plastic gear get rounded off from a loose speedo cable before..

unhook the cable at the trans.. hook a drill up to it and spin it in reverse.. it should read 60mph on the speedo if your drill goes to 1000 rpm.. if that checks out, then pull the gear out of the trans and look at that- i've seen the hole where the cable goes into the plastic gear get rounded off from a loose speedo cable before..

ok thanks, great tip, especially about using the drill in reverse. Will find out saturday and report back.

if all else is good replace speed sensor.thats what killed my speedo.only part ive ever had to replace on my 67000 mile gn ive had from day one

But I thought the speedometer generated the signal that is sent to the speed sensor?

The sensor is in the cluster so if the cable is broke, the sensor won't read speed on the scanmaster.

If it was a bad vss sensor then I would have no speed on the scanmaster but my speedometer would still work. Right? I'll find out tomorrow. New speedo cable came in the mail today. Hopefully that's it.

Well the upper speedo cable was broken. Was not very easy to route the new cable. I wanted to keep it all routed just like it was originally. Had to use a coat hanger to pull it through the dash up through the little hole behind the cluster. Anyway problem solved! Thanks guys.