You can type here any text you want

Code 32

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

yamla_jatt806

Hello,

The SES light is on in my '86 GN. The code is 32, and from the gntype.org website, I got the following explanation for it:

CODE 32
Trouble Code 32 indicates that the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve diaphragm is not where the ECM expects it to be. The ECM controls the diaphragm with a Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) waveform. The EGR has a vacuum bleed solenoid that adjusts the vacuum applied to the EGR valve based on this pulse width. If there is sufficient vacuum at the EGR valve, a switch closes to send a signal back to the ECM. The absence of this signal is the bases for code 32.
The conditions for setting this code are:
• no vacuum to EGR (switch open), and
• Code 33 or 34 (MAF error) is not present, and
• engine running and LV8 is less than 100, and
• coolant temperature is > 118 deg F (48 deg C), and
• the EGR solenoid duty cycle is < 65%, and
• the above conditions are met for more than 25 seconds

Typical causes for this code include:
1) Faulty EGR valve-to-ECM connection
2) Plugged EGR passages and/or sticking EGR valve
3) Defective EGR valve
4) Defective ECM

The car runs a bit sluggish and also hesitates between 40-50 MPH.

I have checked the vacuum lines, they seem ok. What is the best way to diagnose if the EGR valve is indeed bad?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

With the car idling, push on the plunger underneath EGR valve, car should stumble. You can also test the EGR valve with a mityvac tool, you simply apply vacuum to the egr itself and see if it holds vacuum, diaphram could be leaking.

Back