You can type here any text you want

Code 34-MAF Reading Low - Need help.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Ok guys I need some help understanding this.

Finally got the car on the ground (fresh motor) and have a code 34-Low MAF reading idling. Reset the ECM and the error code returns.

I am using an 85 mm MAF, translator is set on 6 (85mm-base).
All other corrections are at null. Translator is dry and not corroded.
Running TT6.0, PL

The following are some average idle numbers;
TPS (0.44)
IAC (25-30)
BLM (130)
MAF (6-7)
Coolant (165)
LV (40)
RPM (850)
Vacuum (16.5 inHG) - Looks good and stable
WB (12.5)
NB (0.700 mV).

FT site is down and could not find anything with the search function on this site. :rolleyes:

Any idea why the 34 error code comes up if the ECM sees the correct values?

If you have a maf reading of 6-7, it doesn't make any sense that you'd be getting a low flow fault. :confused:

Are the dip switches in the translator set to match your chip?

Thats what mine was reading when I was wiring my engine.
Basically I didnt have the translator hooked up and the 6-7 is what the pcm sees when there is no MAF signal.
Another way to test it is to have the key on engine off and give it throttle while watching your scan tool.
If the MAF reading goes up when you press the pedal you are not getting a maf signal as the TPS makes a false signal so the car will run.
Same thing if you loose the TPS and have a good MAF readling it will falsify the TPS signal to run.

If you have a maf reading of 6-7, it doesn't make any sense that you'd be getting a low flow fault. :confused:

Are the dip switches in the translator set to match your chip?
Dave,
The switches are correct.
Thanks for the reply!

Thats what mine was reading when I was wiring my engine.
Basically I didnt have the translator hooked up and the 6-7 is what the pcm sees when there is no MAF signal. Another way to test it is to have the key on engine off and give it throttle while watching your scan tool.
If the MAF reading goes up when you press the pedal you are not getting a maf signal as the TPS makes a false signal so the car will run. . . .
I remember reading that somewhere now! :cool: Off to the search.
Thanks for the reply!

Edit:
From another thread. Guess I needed to do a better search.
with the key on, and the engine off, watch the airflow on a scanmaster or other scantool. Press the accelerator and see if the airflow reading changes. If you are getting an airflow signal from the translator, the airflow reading on the scantool should not change with throttle position when the engine is not running.

Generally, to get a 34 you have to have no signal coming from the translator.

Bob

Resolved! Had the translator to MAF plug in backwards. :redface:

thats what mine was.I had the maf plugged directly into the pcm instead of the Translator

Actually, for clarification purposes;
The plug going from the MAF to theTranslator (translator side) was plugged in 180 degrees off.
This plug will go on both ways, and correct installation can be easily mistaken. :eek:

Update 9/10/12

Purchased the Delphi MAF a few years back from a board member. Worked good, no issues.
Probably 800-1000 miles on it during the last number of years, using an oil-less filter.

This weekend I am seeing a “Code 34 - Low MAF” reading error. I made no changes to the car.
Diagnostic tree indicates “Bad MAF”. Pigtail continuity and clip tension all good!
Voltages on the main harness are good as well, as is the ground.
Verified 3 times as in “No code with the 3” back-up MAF”.

Around 1000 RPM, the MAF reading on PL is around 10, 6-7 no start.
HOWEVER, the maf goes up when moving the throttle.
So, Why would it read low?

Can someone test this MAF for me?

if the engine is off, and your MAF (AF on the scanmaster) rises when you press the throttle, then the ECM is not getting a MAF signal and what you are seeing on the Scanmaster is the ECM trying to calculate a MAF signal using the TPS.

Bob

Not trying to be a smart-a$$ or Captain Obvious here, but is it plugged in the right way or maybe 180* backwards!?!?!?

if the engine is off, and your MAF (AF on the scanmaster) rises when you press the throttle, then the ECM is not getting a MAF signal and what you are seeing on the Scanmaster is the ECM trying to calculate a MAF signal using the TPS.
Bob
Understood.

Not trying to be a smart-a$$ or Captain Obvious here, but is it plugged in the right way or maybe 180* backwards!?!?!?
Nah, tried that before. Car did not like it. LOL!

Thanks guys.
Guess I have a bad MAF . . . . . .
Bob, What PN do you suggest?

I like the aluminum LS1's but they are not available new any more. The 85mm MAF may be available new, I'm not sure. Those are my favorites.

Bob

Dave,
The switches are correct.
Thanks for the reply!

I remember reading that somewhere now! :cool: Off to the search.
Thanks for the reply!

Edit:
From another thread. Guess I needed to do a better search.

I got a code 34 today. With key on engine off, MAF starts out at 3 and goes to 139 as I mash the pedal. So does that mean my translator is bad?

it means that the ECM is not getting a signal.

could be the translator, the MAF or the wiring.

B

Ok, will swap parts with my other TR and try to nail it down. Funny thing, car runs ok. When the stock maf failed the car barely ran, sputtered, etc.

Hey Bob,
I swapped the translator with the one off of my other TR. No more code 34. Also, with koeo I do not get a rising MAF signal. So I ordered a new translator as I think they are on sale until the end of today ($179.99). Can the old one be repaired? Or can it still be some other problem?

yes, send it in with a note.

Note that age and heat has caused a lot of the connector pins in the wiring to relax. So troubleshooting should now include "retentioning" of the pins. Your issue may be related to this.

Bob

This is n interesting thread. I wonder o/if my Translator is going bad too?

I get a low MAF signal error message now too.

Over the years, weak connector pins and water damage are the only things that seem to happen.

Otherwise, if it needs to be checked out, you can send it here..

Bob

Back