coil spring

GN-231

How does everyone go about installing new Moog springs front and rear?
What do you used to get the load off the springs in order to replace them.....do you need to use a spring compressor & chain? Do the springs basically drop out of there perches?
I was thinking about putting new springs all around since the Moogs are not that expensive.

If you have a spring compressor you will need that for the fronts. Other people have done them by taking apart the lower ball joint and keeping a load on the spring via a jack but to me that is needless danger. A spring compressor is a breeze.

As for the rears....take off the lower shock bolt and jack the car up by the frame. With the shock off the axle can be pulled down the spring will just fall out.

I just did it last weekend. Tried spring compressor amd the lower control arm jack method. I didn't have much luck with the spring compressor I borrowed from Autozone. If I owned it, I'd cut 5 inches off the bolt so it would work better. The diameter of the the bolt is too big to fit easily in the shock hole. PIA.

The jack/lower control arm method was a little easier. If you attach the shock, the spring is captured and the risk of flying springs is minimal. Having a few floor jacks and a large crow bar really helps to line stuff up for bolt up.

I can't speak for the front springs, but the back are a easy.

Jack the rear up and place on jack stands with enough room under the tires to let the shock extend fully plus a little more.

Place a jack under the pumkin to compresss the shock enough to un-do the bottom shock bolt and pull the shock out of the mount.

Lower the jack a little until the tire is swing free. If the spring does not fall out, stand next to the tire and step on the bottom of the rim to push the tire down a little, reach over the top of the tire and push the spring out.

When you put it back in have someone step on the tire rim for you.

HTH