Coil Springs

boostin6

Gotta Love That BOOST!
Got a question about removing old coil springs and installing new ones. I'm just about ready to rebuild my front suspension in my 86 T. I've heard of people using coil spring compressors and then some guys tell me don't use them. I've even seen guys use a chain and wrap in around the spring to the frame so it doesn't fly out at you and use a floor jack to lower the a-arm down. What would be the best way to remove and reinstall the springs without hurtin myself? Also the springs I bought are from the GSCA... Anybody else using these?????

Thanks

1986 Buick Regal T-type

210-205 cam, stock turbo, intercooler, etc.

Dk. Blue Metallic w/tan leather interior column shift

Tie the spring with a chain no matter what method you use. The GM manual tells you to chain the spring as well. For removal its not that big a deal to use a jack to lower the arm after removing the bolts, assuming the bolts don't need to be fought with up close. For installation I used a compressor. Search for my name in this forum you will see what I do with compressors. I find it really difficult to control the arm while compressing the spring without a compressor, you have to be in very close to the spring to install it and the bolts, I like it restrained. That way the arm simply lifts into place, insert the bolts, release the compressor, and your nearly done.

First, this comes with no warranty and all the disclaimers... yatta... yatta... yatta. Get a shop manual and read it and read below till you can do it without going back to book. If the spring pops you in the foot (which is why OSHA requires steel tipped shoes) or shin, we will ALL laugh first then apply beer to affected area, but, will not wait with you at the doctors. Bear in mind that these springs can be installed by hand if you have sufficent a$$ and you ate your wheaties before starting.

Removing coil springs isn't all that bad. Insure car is up in the air enuf (3' or use a lift) so that the LCA can swing down completely. Use of jack stands and a 2 ton floor jack are needed. I would suggest you raise the whole vehicle. You said that you are rebuilding the front end so I am ASSUMING you are also doing the bushings. With vehicle supported by stands and front wheels off, remove shocks, end links and outer tie rods from spindle. Use pickle fork to separate tie rods. Remove cotter key from lower castle nut and back off till nut is flush with top of ball joint stud but DO NOT remove, perform same thing on the upper BJ. If you are not doing the UCA bushings leave the spindle attached at the UCA BJ. If you are afraid of the spring, leave the spindle attached to the UCA until you remove spring. Take a BFH and whack spindle in the area of the LOWER BJ, with tie rods disconnected it is easier to turn the spindle out so that you may hit it on the inside which would normally be facing the inside frame, hit it good, it should pop the spindle loose if you hit good. Sometimes it may need more convincing. Place roll-around-jack UNDER SPRING POCKET angled in from the front of the car and support lower arm, raise LCA until tension is off lower BJ. You will see BJ stud rise up through spindle, use pickle fork to separate the upper BJ. Remove castle nut off UCA BJ and raise upper control arm to remove upper BJ from spindle. Remove lower castle nut from BJ, it should only be finger tight unless really grimey. Pay attention to lower control arm in BJ area as this is tangled in the dust sheild of the brakes. Lift spindle and remove. Now you should be looking at the spring. SLOWLY lower the LCA with the roll around jack untill the jack can slide out and the LCA's BJ is practically touching the ground almost straight down. With a 3-4' pry bar/screw driver/convincer stand to the side of the car from the front and with the bar reach in behind the spring in the pocket and pop it out. It's not going to fly across the street.

To install, use a spring compressor and compress spring a ton. Raise LCA with jack and place jack pad out by BJ. I remove the zerk fitting and place jack as far out on LCA as possible. It may take some playing with to figure out where to place it, thats where experience comes in. Do this front the front angleged in to allow access to the spring pocket. Place spring correctly in spring pocket, support spring in pocket while buddy raises LCA with jack. Reassemble UCA and spindle, remove spring compressor.