Cold Start problems and E85?

TA49-WE4

Switched my car over to 100% E85 this week. Now its hard to start when its cold. Takes at least three to four trys to get it to fire. After it starts and has heat in it, it is good for the rest of the day. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Thanks

I've noticed the same thing when it's under 45 degrees outside.......I don't think it's that unusual since the vapor pressure in alcohol is less than in gasoline.

Try pressing the gas pedal a little bit to see if that helps. Hold it at about 1.9 to 2.0v TPS. That will increase the cranking pulsewidth. If that helps, then the chip can be adjusted to help.

Eric

my car is also sluggish when cold when i have E85 in it- but it gets better after a minute or so. i just pretend i'm driving a cantankerous old musclecar with an out of adjustment choke and drive accordingly until it gets warmed up.

I use 190 proof ethonal and at 45 deg. I have to shoot gas in the intake to get it to start. Once it gets a little heat in it there is no problem starting.

Ok I tried holding the tps at 1.9 to 2.0 today. Didn't seem to help. If anything it seemed to be worse. Sounds like its a common problem though by the answers that im getting. Any other ideas? I have autolite 23 sparkplugs in it at .032 gap. Maybe that has something to do with it. Runs perfect other than the cold start problem.

Great suggestion Eric, I was unaware that the computer listened to the TPS on start up like that. I was going to suggest getting the chip altered since I have to give my E85 GTO a couple extra pedals to start up.

Also, Platinum and Iridium plugs are being praised for helping this very situation. Considering a lot of forced induction people don't like platinum plugs, I'd try Iridiums and see if that helps.

Update,

Ok so eric sent me a new chip with a wider plusewidth when cranking and the car started on the second try. :)

If you are having problems with your car starting on 100% E85 you should give eric @ turbotweak a call.

Easiest way to help with cold starting is to put about 1 gallon of 87 in with 9 gallons of E-85. When its thats cold out your not going to lose any performance from the diluted mixture but it sure as hell will make the car happier and start.

You can also have Eric increase the start timing as well to help.

E-85 has a hard time creating a combustable mixture in temps below 50 degrees. Even when my car would get started and warmed up I found out that running a 195 degree stat instead of the 160 was the ticket. Better mileage, efficiency, etc

I'm still only using about a E-65 mixture( 87 and E-85 ) or so and I can still run 22 psi @ 26 degrees, with stock turbo and intercooler in the 100 degree Texas heat. The cooling effect of E-85 easily eclipses that of alky injection.

Car never runs over 205 even in the traffic.