Colorado Members

bigz

Has anybody used Detroit Transmissions in Arvada for your TR? If so how are their prices and were you satisfied with the work. I think the next step I want to take with my car is freshening up the 90,000 mile stock transmission. Thanks

I am currently using them to tear down my trans. I will hopefully have it back to install this Saturday along with a 9/11 converter from Bruce. I'll report back once the trans in in, but so far, I have been happy. The guy I have been working with there seems very knowledgeable.

Chris

Chris,

They are currently working on my car too. Bruce recomended them as well as another mechanic friend of mine so I decided to give them a shot. I'm looking forward to getting the car back. Let me know how it turns out for you. Are you having your rebuild done using Bruce's parts?

Mike

I had the trans rebuilt in Feb by a GM tech who was reffered to me as being very good at transmissions, but hadn't built a lot of 200's. I had him build it with Bruce's parts (10 vane pump, bigger boost valves, blue plates, billet servo, Alto Band, roller center support, etc.) and to his specs. But used my old orange stripe converter which had the clutch fall apart in several months later. So, I replaced the converter and changed the fluid in it several times hoping I would be alright. But, unfortunately there was so much junk in the fluid that it seized up the pump and broke some stuff.

So, this time, I am going to do everything right. Tim Capper at Detroit Trans. is tearing down the trans to look for any other broken parts and reassemble it and new 10 vane pump and 9/11 converter are on their way from Bruce. All is set for me to put it back in this weekend.

How about you? What are you having done? ETA? Are you going to try to make it to the Pueblo races?

Tim is going to tear down the transmission and call me and tell me what I need. I will probably go with Bruce's stuff so I only have to do it once. I do plan on being at Pueblo. My dad is bringing down his Gran Sport from Kansas City so it should be a good time. I'm hoping to run some mid twelves at Pueblo if I can get the car tuned right but we'll see. My best time at Bandimere has been 13.2 at 107 mph. My sixty foot times stink. I have a similar combo to yours TA49, Blue Tops, stretched intercooler, THDP, etc. Have you been up to Greeley lately? I've seen one guy driving around in an 85 GN but that's about it.

Mike

It always saves money in the long run to do it right the first time. Although, stuff does get expensive.

No, I have not made it to Greeley for a while. I guess the street racing thing lost its appeal. That 85 GN is probably the one owned by a younger guy that works at the Ford shop. It is pretty slow, but is a very nice low mileage car.

I am going to try to make it to Pueblo also. But, I just looked at my slicks the other day and they were looking pretty bad. I might have to run on street tires :( since the latest trans. episode has taken quite a toll on my pocketbook. I don't really know what times to expect since it hasn't been to the track since being stock.

I remember you saying you had or were going to get a SMC alcohol kit. Did that materialize? I should be getting mine soon (should have already been here) and would greatly appreciate any assistance or pointers you may have in getting it set up right.

Chris

I think the installation is pretty straight forward. I had somebody else install it while I was getting some other stuff done to the car but I think it's fairly simple. As far as tuning it I'm still experimenting. I noticed you have the power plate which helps alot. When I added that my transitional knock went way down. I'm currently running a Red Armstrong 108 chip and pure denatured with about 24 lbs of boost and almost zero knock. I have yet to run race gas in the car and have had decent results with the SMC kit. I think I may experiment with adding distilled water to the mix to see what that does. My car does run pretty rich which I'm trying to pin down. I live in Longmont so if you want to get together sometime let me know.

Mike

You live in Longmont eh? I might take you up on the offer when I get the alky kit. Longmont is just minutes away.

Chris

Colorado Memebers...

Is there anyone else here in Colorado that is NOT putting their TR up for the winter?

Sorry for this hijack attempt but, I noticed the Longmont crowd. Holy s***! My 87 GN was the terror of Main st. (287) back in 1994. I even handed out a couple o' a$$ whoopins on Hover Rd. I grew up in Louisville/Longmont/Lafeyette....where were you folks back then?! It's cool to hear about folks from my home towns. I even one time broke a wheel off (drum and all) after sliding on some gravel and hitting the median in front of Village Inn on the south end of town. :eek:

I'm in Denver,.... Definately NOT putting the car up for the Winter. Last week it was almost in the 60's!!

I keep it garaged of course if the roads are wet or there's snow on the ground. (Like now)

When searching for my GN I actually drove the 45-60 minutes to look at one in Longmont. The guy wanted 14K and the car was pretty beat looking. 100K miles or so. No headliner. Cracked headers. Had been raced (slicks in the trunk)

Anyway,.. I ended up flying to the east coast to buy one with 34K miles.

I need to meet up with someone who has a bit more experience than myself with these cars just to pick their brains and learn a bit.

:D

I drove to dallas to get mine, with only seeing pictures of it! But the guy was really nice and car was how described.

Good to see colorado members here!