You can type here any text you want

Com open failed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pdzz

fixing something
I have a classic FAST that comes up with "com open failed". Just started out of the blue,any thoughts? Do I need to re-load the C-com disc?? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil..

You too?

I honestly tried to connect it to my car DVD but nothing happend. That's the only thing I can think would have caused somthing.
I need help too. Any inside fuses to that port ?
Thanks for helping both of us.
Thank god my tune is dead on. ;)
~Scott

go to my computer > hardware > ports

the computer might have the com port that the fast is calling for reserved for something else. find one that is not used and re-assign the com port on the fast comm setup.

on my laptop 3 thru 11 were labled "used". had to open properties of the radio shack usb converter and re-assign it com port 2, then did the same to the fast, got right on line with it then.

Ok, I checked the port assignment, it is set on 1 same as the FAST. I'm wondering if it is a laptop issue. Phil

On PCs usually COM 1 is assigned to a serial port so your using that for connection I take it....if not then.....

If you are using a USB port for connection I know that on mine it is port specific, since the same USB post always is assigned COM2.

If I plug into the wrong USB port I get that message...unpluging the cable and replugging back to the proper USB port fixes it....just an idea.

When your cable is plugged in does it show up in Device Manager under the Ports(COM & LPT1) section?

I'm using a serial port, I re-installed the C-com, I'm going to see if it connects. Thanks, Phil.

It sounds like there are 2 things on the laptop fighting for the same com port. I used to see this alot with Allen Bradley PLCs.

I tried to connect after a re-load no luck. I want to try my wife's laptop, but it doesn't have a serial port. What adapter do I need to go from a USB to a serial port? Will i be able to use my existing cable? Thanks in advanced, Phil.

You will need a 9-pin Serial (RS232) to USB adapter.

Here is another thread I was involved in where this was discussed and at the bottom is my name and a link to the USB adapter that I have used successfully with both Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/performance-ecm-upgrades/72778-fast-windows-xp.html#post517073

EDIT: They dont carry the GWC one that I have anymore, but the Vigor model looks exactly the same as mine and is 10 dollars cheaper

With that being said, did you see if the Com Port is showing up correctly in Device Manager?

It may simply be that somehow it has been disabled, or there is a simple conflict where, for example, Windows is loading the driver for it twice.

If it is computer related, you should be able to fix this problem fairly easily....dont throw in the towel yet!! :)

For Vista you may also have to go find (google...) a virtual com port for the computer to use. It will then label it for you (mine chose port 4) and it will always be on the same usb port on your computer.

com port open fail means the port is in use by something else usually. Sometimes the serial port gets disabled in the bios. If you can get into the bios screen during boot up you can check it there most computers its usuall the del key on boot or F1.

Ok, when I get the "bio" screen, then what? I have an old IBM Thinkpad A20m. Should I check the device manager first? Where do I get to the device manager? You guys are great with all the help, I wish I new how to navigate a little better. Phil.

Is there anything else that the com port gets used for? Something else is using it or thinks it is.

Go to device manager again, open com port properties, click the advanced tab, there should be a drop down that will have com ports on it, change it to from port 1 to port 2, then go in the fast and set it to com port 2. I have done this in the past with PLC's and it worked.

I tried to switch ports, no luck. I went with 1-2. 3 thru 5 were being used, no difference. Would getting a USB adapter be worth a try? Or should I just get another cheap laptop? My wife says my laptop is junk! Sure! After I buy her a new one for her birthday! :mad: Phil.

go to radio shack and get a usb converter, I know for a fact that they work. not all usb converters will work with the fast. the problem is that laptop will probably assign a high port number to the converter, you will have to go back in and re-assign it a number that is compatible with the fast, like 1 thru 4 are the only options I think. i think i paid about 20 bucks for the radio shack converter. I ordered a new Dell laptop for work and spec'ed it with a serial connector on the back for connecting to PLC's without an adaptor, you might want to consider this if you buy a new one. Or, just steal your wife's.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I do use the wife's, she has Vista, that'll probably be an issue too?? Phil.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I do use the wife's, she has Vista, that'll probably be an issue too?? Phil.

I have vista on one of my laptops and it does not work good at all with fast. It would make the screen go blue and shut the computer down. A LOT:mad:
I went on ebay and bought a refurbished Dell with windows XP for a couple hunderd bucks and it works really well so far.

Back