You can type here any text you want

Com open failed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have no experience with Vista, you could drop Cal a line and ask him, he is the FAST guru, and has probably dealt with that.

Individual programs in Vista can be run in a "compatability mode" for any of the earlier Windows operating systems.

By looking in your C: drive, and going to the CComWP folder you can find the CComWp icon that starts up CCom.

If you click on it once with the left mouse key it will highlight. Next right click on it and and click on the Properties option.

Finally, click on the Compatability tab and you should see the Compatability Mode drop down bar where you can choose the mode that you want CComWP to run in. Chose Win XP, Win 2000, etc....whatever you think is best.

This will probably make CCom less likely to crash on a Vista machine.

I've personally never used CCom on a Vista machine, so im really not sure how well CCom likes being run on Vista.

Hopefully, this will give you guys running Vista a better chance of getting CCom to work properly.

I have the same computer. Press f1 while it boots and then go to configuration and then serial port. Check if it is enabled. If the bios battery died this is most likely the cause of your problem.

Norbs, if the bios battery is shot, can I still use the USB port with the adapter? I orderd an adapter because the wife's laptop doesn't have the serial port. Phil.

Sure you can use the adapter. The battery just keeps the clock working in the computer if the main battery goes dead, but it also keeps the bios settings in the default mode and sometimes this means the serial port is disabled, and windows will report the port as working properly even though its disabled..

I went into diagnostics, it said the port was enabled. I'm waiting for the adapter now, I orderd one online. I'll keep everyone posted. Phil.

FIXED!!!! I got my adapter in the mail today. Loaded the driver, plugged it in and it works!! Had to set com ports to 2 on the FAST and the laptop. I still have no idea why the serial port crapped out. Now time to play!! Thanks for all the help guys! Phil.:cool:

Back