Commodore 3.8L

K

kalium

Hi, I hope this is the right section to post this question in....

In Australia we have a Holden Commodore which has a 3.8L V6 buick engine in it....I THINK it is a L36(although I am not an expert on holdens by any means) and its in NA form..makes around about 120-130kw IIRC.

Just wondering, would these engines be similar to the GN turbo engines which you guys have over there in the states? Would the internals be the same, would it just be a case of turboing it to bring it up to par?

Sorry if this is an obvious/stupid question, but I know NOTHING about buicks, so....I was hoping you guys could help me :)

Cheers

Your motor is most likely the series II 3800 found in 95.5 and up camaros and firebirds and in early 90's an up front drive GM intermediates. What transmission does the commodore use? 4L60 4 speed auto/borg warner/tremec T5 5 speed? If so it's most likely the 3800. These motors are a complete redesign from the 3.8L turbo motors.

For hot rod infor for the 3800 series II, you can check on FWD 3800 sites for Grand Pix's or some of these:

3.8 Camaro

V6 F body links

They had a 5 speed manual (not sure if it is a warner T5 or not) and were sold from early 90's-95....

Possibly a complete re-design to the 3.8L turbo, because If it was the same somene would have already whacked a turbo on and made ridicoulous HP figures from it....afaik though this hasnt really happened a lot in Aussie.

Cheers