You can type here any text you want

Comp replacment for 885's= 863??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kidglok

Balls Deep
comp told a friend of mine that the 885 is no longer being made, and the replacement for that lifter is the 15-853-12? Apparently these arnt like the other "853s" and are a limited travel requiring .050 preload? Supposed to be better then the 885 and use a heavy spring inside them.

I'm not that great with valve train lingo so bear with me, can someone elaborate on this?

edit- i meant 853 in the thread title

Be more specific. 853 and 885 were two separate numbers. The 885 was the one to use with high spring pressure and little to no preload. Ive seen replacements that aren't shielded and will be a big problem if run. 853 was a standard roller lifter for moderate spring pressures and can be run with preload

Be more specific. 853 and 885 were two separate numbers. The 885 was the one to use with high spring pressure and little to no preload. Ive seen replacements that aren't shielded and will be a big problem if run.

yea, im looking to swap out my old 853's that have been thru 3 rebuilds. I asked a buddy who is a dealer for comp and this is what they told him.

the 885 replacement is the "new 853", they are supposed to better then the 885's which are not being made anymore, and are limited travel, the actual part # i believe is 15853-12

The new Comp 853S lifters are very nice pieces. They make a great replacement for the 853 or 885 Chevy lifters. However, they will not work for the Buicks. I installed them in my GN a couple of months ago and realized that they have an "open wheel design" that exposes the oil feed in the lifter galleys. That means you will lose oil pressure. The original 853 or 885 lifters work nicely.

kidglok said:
yea, im looking to swap out my old 853's that have been thru 3 rebuilds. I asked a buddy who is a dealer for comp and this is what they told him.

the 885 replacement is the "new 853", they are supposed to better then the 885's which are not being made anymore, and are limited travel, the actual part # i believe is 15853-12

They may tell you that an unshielded roller is ok too but I wouldn't try and put out a fire by dousing it with gasoline. 885's have probably been 8's by now. I like them. Very repeatable

Back