Completed Engine Build for Sy

Vader Sy

Since the SyTy community isn't really happening around here I thought I would update my rebuild.

Motor is finally together and has been installed. I found last racing season that the main bearings were spun, a couple bent valves, and bent rods. It was ugly. Knowing that an expensive rebuild was ahead of me I started doing research and gathering parts last November. The block has been cleaned and magnafluxed. I also had billet 4 bolt main caps with the front and rear installed. I am using Oliver rods with SRP pistons. The block was also bored 40 over. Vortec heads with big valves were installed. Porting work was also done.

Given my desire to be in the 11's, I opted for a rebuild my transmission for the abuse that is apparent. CK performance (Chris) did the tranny work which is a Stg II with a 9 1/2 billet torque convertor. Stall is around 3200.

The last piece of the puzzle is the turbo. I felt that the TE44 was not going to fit the bill if I wanted to get that REAL HIGH 10 and constant 11 second passes. I wanted to keep the AC so the PTE Stealth turbo seemed to be the logical choice. The turbo is up for debate on what size it is but when measured and compared to the TE44, it is much larger. SyTy community believes it is a 70 series turbo but PTE told me it was a 68. Either way, it fits barely with the AC. The stealth turbo at 5 lbs of boost sounds like the TE44 at 10-12. Sounds doesn't produce power though. Time will tell. It does sound mean as hell though. Injectors are just 50 lbers, but will be upgraded to 75 lbers this summer or fall.

I was told the motor needed at least 500 miles on it before I ran it real hard. I was also told not to boost more than 5 or so pounds before the mileage. The Syclone has not been driven real hard and I have not launched it once. I have waited roughly 6 months from start to finish. I currently have 420 miles on the new motor and I cannot wait for the last 80 miles to go. After the mileage is done I figure I will still take it pretty easy ;) for another 500 miles to ensure that everything is cosure.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys in the Columbus OH area at National Trail or La Rue this summer and fall.

Hope it was worth the read. :p

For a while there I thought I had the only Typhoon(or Syclone) on this board. Your truck sounds bad ass, hoping to see some good numbers, huh.

Thanks for the compliment Big D. I sure there are more than just us on this board with the Sy Ty's. I will put the pics on the website tonight hopefully. I have several mid terms today and a presentation tomorrow. So, I'm kinda busy.

One edit on my build.

In my haste I forgot mention that the Comp Cam 412 is being used instead of the stocker.

Originally posted by mytyphoon1993
Ok I see we have tons of SY's on the board but where my Typhoon's at.

Nice time on your typhoon mytyphoon1993. What mods are done to your truck to get those times?

Originally posted by Sycosis
Nice time on your typhoon mytyphoon1993. What mods are done to your truck to get those times?
Just a chip, fp, adfpr, atr exhaust, and some tuning the previous owner did.
Your screen name sounds familar, you wouldnt happen to be from Nj would ya.:D

Originally posted by mytyphoon1993
Just a chip, fp, adfpr, atr exhaust, and some tuning the previous owner did.
Your screen name sounds familar, you wouldnt happen to be from Nj would ya.:D

HAHAHAH!!!! Yeah it's me. Actually it ran 13.04 at 100.51, 60 foot of 1.73 1/8 8.208 @ 82.64 I have the time slip right here.

Originally posted by Sycosis
HAHAHAH!!!! Yeah it's me. Actually it ran 13.04 at 100.51, 60 foot of 1.73 1/8 8.208 @ 82.64 I have the time slip right here.
Well then let me welcome you to the wonderfull world of turbo buicks and pontiacs. What are you doing over here. The goals for the ty is to match or beat your time. Im pretty sure I can do it, have a few little tricks up my sleeve. But any ways when I get the syclone that will turn into an all out race truck.