You can type here any text you want

Compression check on engine stand?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 WE2

Anyone ever attempt this? Just curious, the only down side I can see is the cylinders not being up to temp, but with a heat gun into the spark plug hole it should bring it up to about 120 deg.

Don't even waste your time/effort. You won't get the entire cylinder/piston/parts hot enough.

I was going to ask what you were planning on using to spin the engine over with, but nevermind.

Don't even waste your time/effort. You won't get the entire cylinder/piston/parts hot enough.

I was going to ask what you were planning on using to spin the engine over with, but nevermind.

Yea thats what I was thinking, just figured I'd ask.

The lifters may not be in a state to get the valves doing what they would normally do in a warmed up engine but I have done it just because - It was not a total failure and I believe it may have shown any issue a compression check would have revealed in a warm engine.

Anyone ever attempt this? Just curious, the only down side I can see is the cylinders not being up to temp, but with a heat gun into the spark plug hole it should bring it up to about 120 deg.

i do it all the time------i have an engine stand complete with wiring harness, radiator and fuel lines------i use it for breakin of new rebuilds and to check out used engines that i buy from time to time------its a lot easier than doing it in a car for sure-------but if you can't run the engine and get it up to temp and circulate the oil its gonna give you meaningless numbers you cannot trust...........RC

Any pictures of your setup Richard?

if i remember tonight when i go to the shop i will take a few pics-------i actually have two systems---------one is just for testing engines and the other is for transmissions ...................TC

shop

if i remember tonight when i go to the shop i will take a few pics-------i actually have two systems---------one is just for testing engines and the other is for transmissions ...................TC

nice one of these days ill go and check out your place i really wanted to go to your open house.

AL

here are a few pics of my engine stand--------this is the one for testing trannys-------it has a GN engine permanently mounted with a harness to run it-------i can do pressure checks etc and check that it works all gears------presently i am working on adapting a 600 HP dyno brake so i can actually do testing under load------after all the pics are posted i will give a few explanations and then i will cover the other stand that is for testing engines

Attachments

• PICT001.JPG
    PICT001.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 252
  • PICT002.JPG
    PICT002.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 236
  • PICT003.JPG
    PICT003.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 265
  • PICT004.JPG
    PICT004.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 248
  • PICT005.JPG
    PICT005.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 237
the remaining pictures. this fixture uses a harness made by john at caspers specifically for use on dyno's-------i first used a GM harness from a GN but it had so many unused wires it was a tangle and pain to hook up--------for cooling i have an adapter to a garden hose with a regulator set to 15 lbs------gas is fed from a plastic jug that i just drop the fuel pump in-------trannys can be hooked to this thing in 10 minutes and removed in 5--------torque convertor is kept mounted on the flywheel and the tranny slides into place with long tapered pins on the engine block-------lots easier than testing them in a car--------there is a filter and gauge on the cooler line and i always put a AN fitting on the pressure tap of the pump--------i have a hand operated TV line with a handle---------if i get a chance tomorrow i will show the stand for testing and breaking in engines------its always so much easier than doing it in the car..................RC

Attachments

• PICT006.JPG
    PICT006.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 251
  • PICT007.JPG
    PICT007.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 219
  • PICT008.JPG
    PICT008.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 246
  • PICT009.JPG
    PICT009.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 210
  • PICT010.JPG
    PICT010.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 216
Leakdown

i do it all the time------i have an engine stand complete with wiring harness, radiator and fuel lines------i use it for breakin of new rebuilds and to check out used engines that i buy from time to time------its a lot easier than doing it in a car for sure-------but if you can't run the engine and get it up to temp and circulate the oil its gonna give you meaningless numbers you cannot trust...........RC

What exactly are you trying to accomplish perhaps a leakdown will work just for your needs. Personally I think the information gained is much better than from a compression test.

Much success!!!!

What exactly are you trying to accomplish perhaps a leakdown will work just for your needs. Personally I think the information gained is much better than from a compression test.

Much success!!!!

if you buy and build as many engines as i do you would appreciate the ability to check the engine (or transmission) without having to put it in a car------if they check out good i put them in storage and if they don't i tear them down and schedule them for rebuild------there is a lot more to evaluating an engine than compression or leakdown-------i have builders come to my shop just to use my fixtures to test engines or to break them in before installing in a car-----if you have an oil leak or pressure problem or any of dozens of things that might not be right its much better to find it on a stand than when its in a car-------if you dont grasp the value of this perhaps i can let some of the folks that have used this setup tell the value it was to them.............RC

if you buy and build as many engines as i do you would appreciate the ability to check the engine (or transmission) without having to put it in a car------if they check out good i put them in storage and if they don't i tear them down and schedule them for rebuild------there is a lot more to evaluating an engine than compression or leakdown-------i have builders come to my shop just to use my fixtures to test engines or to break them in before installing in a car-----if you have an oil leak or pressure problem or any of dozens of things that might not be right its much better to find it on a stand than when its in a car-------if you dont grasp the value of this perhaps i can let some of the folks that have used this setup tell the value it was to them.............RC

I really like the setup & I can understand the value of it! Wish I had the $$ & space myself. I would build it just to play with my 3 measly engines & have fun doing it! Friens would also gain from it. Wish I was close to you & I would bring in a couple to test.

Back