You can type here any text you want

compression test result

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mjp87

My GN has 157,000 miles on it and I don't know the history of it. It has a miss at idle and stutters at wot. It runs fine in between idle and wot. If I mash the pedal it stutters, if I slowly push the pedal to the floor it accelerates fine.I have checked and changed the basic stuff.(other than a ajustable fuel pressure reg/fuel filter I have not done anything with the fuel system)I was going look at injectors,fuel pump/hot wire kit but I am concerned about compression test reults. #1-135/ #3-135/ #5-100*/#2-145/#4-145/#6-145. Should I be concerned about cylinder #5 and if so what steps do I take to find out what is going on with cylinder #5.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks, mike

Sounds like you have an ignition problem to me. I would thouroghly check your ground wire connections behind your cyl heads prior to buying a new coil. I recommend Casper's ground kit. If you buy a new coil make sure to get a GM coil from a GM dealer. Do NOT BUY AUTOZONE or Wells brand coils- waste of money. If the coil doesn't do it and your wires are not producing lightning in the dark then you might want to look at testing/replacing the ignition module. I went through a few coils before I realized some joker didn't hook up one of the ground wires in back of the head. Then, no more coil problems. GM warranties them for 90days. I have had mine on for 2.5yrs & 5K miles, no problem.

As far as the #5 cyl all I know is that they are supposed to be within 10% of each other. My car is way off too but it runs smooth. All mine are around 120 and then #6 is 160!

that #5 cylinder is low on compression. Try putting alittle oil in that cylinder and see how much the compression comes up. also if you can take a pin light and take a look at the piston and see what it looks like.

Something is not right with your number #5. Anytime a cylinder is that far off (assuming the test was done right) it means there is a problem. Period. I would try the oil check. Also, was this done warm or cold? If the oil check doesn't change anything it very well could be a valve.

Edit: I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on coils and ignition modules until you get your engine problem figured out.

+1 you need to find out what is wrong with that cylinder before throwing more money at it.

Back