Computer Hard Drive probs

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
I know this isn't a computer site but I do know there is a cross section of knowledge so I thought I'd ask.
I am getting a s.m.a.r.t. warning when the computer is turned on. Looking back it has been sluggish and so I ran some malware bytes and another that was recommended here. Seemed to speed it up but then got this smart warning. I googled this so I could find out more. Apparently this is an early eating of a hard drive crash. So I think no prob ill get a new hard drive and copy the contents to the New one. Well this one is a sata drive where my other older ones are ide ones. I have a little kit to use to get stuff off the ide stuff but not the sata. Is this something I can get adapters for or do I need a data kit and power supply?
I might just spring for a new computer and another hard drive as I don't know how I'd get the stuff copied with out a working computer. Do need the pix and such. I know should be backed up.
I found a little refurbished one in newegg for $224 with free shipping and it has a hdmi so I could use it near the tv to stream stuff after I get the new drive up and running.
Just need some adapters or a sata cable and power thing though the inside has the Molex and the sata kind on the power supply.

Your thoughts.
TIA

Rich

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'd copy everything to a flash drive right away and plan on a new hard drive and reinstalling the OS. That would be most simple. I'm not geeky enough to do it the cool way.

Well, I like the copy to flash drive but it gets stuck at the smart warning and windows never opens. I got an old drive up and running but it is xandros and I can't get the WiFi to hook up. The other hd I have is windows xp and it is asking for a activation code I don't have.

I guess it is new piece or purchase some new software.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rich,

There's a freeware program called "gpart" that you can use to access your drive if your 'puter is capable of booting from a CD/DVD. Of course, you'd have to have someone with a working 'puter DL the program and burn it to a disc. Also, if you have access to a laptop (or other 'puter), you can use a "twisted pair" ethernet cable to hook the two up directly without a router...

Will it boot in safe mode?

Bryan
No.
I got some advice to use a program to "mirror" the bad drive onto a new one. Probably going to try that.