Concert Sound (CSII) Section Needed

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to convert my 84GN from a non-CSII car to a CSII car. Got CSII stuff...door panels, original speakers (need currently available replacement for front and door), and wiring harness from door speakers to a single connector under the dash, all thanks to Bob Herbert (thanks Bob...you are a lifesaver).
I also have what is supposed to be a CSII radio with 5 band equalizer (Model 16073584). How do I connect the door speakers to radio? I have a 86-87 under dsash wiring harness and I don't see anything that will connect with the door harness or the radio. What options do I have with speakers? HELP!
Conrad Carter
North Carolina

I'm not too sure about the wiring to the speakers, but are the doors cut out for the speakers? I bought lower door panels with the CSII speaker covers only to find out that I would have to cut holes in the doors for the speakers. So now I have an extra set of CSII lower door panels.:mad:

I have one CSII lower door panel for my 84 GN and it has speaker opening that was built into the door...ie, the hole was part of the door, NOT cut out later.
Conrad

ps...do you have the metal cup that adapts the speaker to the door opening?

theres another adapter for cs11 ,
it gets attached behind the radio to the metal surround of the dash at the lower left corner
the cs11 harness get plugged into it along with the stock front dash spkr harness the and then goes into the radio as a single plug

if you cant locate one you could make one out of the connector from a GM stereo install wiring kits from auto store(or walmart) and a white frt spk connector from salvage yard , or just cut the wires and splice them in

and you wil need to cut holes in the door

and asfaik any stereo radio could have CS11 ,didnt have to be EQ version

I have one CSII lower door panel for my 84 GN and it has speaker opening that was built into the door...ie, the hole was part of the door, NOT cut out later.
Conrad

ps...do you have the metal cup that adapts the speaker to the door opening?

So will you cut the hole in the other door? If so, make sure when you mount the speaker in it, it doesn't interfere with the window when it is open. I don't have the speaker cup. You will have to get some angle iron and put a couple bends in it, like looking at the letter "Z" , to attach it. That is how Circuit City mounted my door speakers in my GN that has the cut outs in the doors. You can buy it at Lowes. Previous owner had removed the door speakers.

I need to watch what I say...the hole in the "door" is actually a hole in the "lower door panel". The hole is in the plastic...not the metal door. My bad.

I have a set of original CSII door panels on the way to me as we speak. Hopefully they are better than the 2 I have (one is an original CSII panel, the other was "modified" to make it a CSII panel.

Does anyone have the wiring adaptors for the CSII mentioned above?

Conrad

I got CSII with just the two band EQ. Recently did my whole system up, I'll try to take pics of the insides of the doors. Gotta try to find a way to make my new 6.5"s fit now. Chances are I'll have to cut the lower door panels up a bit and make some new grilles. I'll try to make it look like the CSII ones but bigger and I'll try to retain the badges. I'll probably have to pick up another pair of CSII doors from Bob.

To be honest I'm not sure why you'd want to convert to Concert sound. By todays standards it's a pretty crappy system even compared to current low end stock systems. I guess I could understand if you wanted to just do it to fit 5.25"s in the doors but you could get the Q-Logic q-forms for up to 6" speakers or go with these door panels.

New Items!!!! & Sale Page!!!!

Concert Sound II

I got CSII with just the two band EQ. Recently did my whole system up, I'll try to take pics of the insides of the doors. Gotta try to find a way to make my new 6.5"s fit now. Chances are I'll have to cut the lower door panels up a bit and make some new grilles. I'll try to make it look like the CSII ones but bigger and I'll try to retain the badges. I'll probably have to pick up another pair of CSII doors from Bob.

To be honest I'm not sure why you'd want to convert to Concert sound. By todays standards it's a pretty crappy system even compared to current low end stock systems. I guess I could understand if you wanted to just do it to fit 5.25"s in the doors but you could get the Q-Logic q-forms for up to 6" speakers or go with these door panels.

New Items!!!! & Sale Page!!!!

C-mon guys there should definatly be a concert sound section!!!!! It is exclusive to our sytems!!! It is wonderfulllllll!!!!!

I'm definitely open to upgrades to the CSII system. Tell me more!
Conrad

C-mon guys there should definatly be a concert sound section!!!!! It is exclusive to our sytems!!! It is wonderfulllllll!!!!!

Take care of your hearing as you upgrade your sound system :)

I'm moving this thread to the "Car Audio" forum. It shoudl get some traffic there. :)

I am currently adding CSII style door panel speaker pods to my GN. At first, I was just going to buy CSII Lower Door Panels, but to my knowledge, the door does have to be cut for clearance! Since Im not willing to do that I am making a set of custom speaker pods with 3/4" MDF wood rings which will be black carpeted to match the black lower door panel carpet on the GNs. The pod will mount with 4 screws through the back of the lower door panel in the carpeted area so if for some reason I ever wanted to take them out, the screw holes would be covered by the factory black lower door panel carpet.:cool: Ill post up some pics soon......... :D

Would someone with factory CSII confirm that holes have to be cut in the steel door for the door speakers? A picture of the hole would be GREAT!
Conrad Carter

What size speakers???

Hello All, I am also messing around with a CSII system and was wanting to upgrade speakers. What size are in the doors? I know that the dash is 3 1/2 and the rear is 4x10, But I cannot find anything on the doors. I have not pulled it apart and was not going to until I had all the stuff onsight. Thanks Coach

Will get the size of the door speaker tonight.

conrad

Can anyone tell me what year my radio is...number 16073584?
Conrad

The door speakers are 5 1/4" and yes there is another adapter you will need for the radio that allows you to "piggy back" both the dash and door speakers into the radio. GM part number may be 20517196 ("Harness:jumper, f/d speaker to radio)

That is the correct part number but was discontinued in 1994.
Conrad

so did anyone confirm if it is the doors or the panel yet? I always thought it was the panels?

I just took off CSII lower panels today from a TR and there was a circle cutout on the panel inside the square pod and a cutout on the door itself.
the cars has all its original audio equipment.

Just found this post and I have the answer to your questions:biggrin:

1- there are holes in the doors them selves(about 3.75" circle)
2- the door panel is cut for the speaker bucket
3- there is a additional harness for concert sound that plugs in line with
the radio plugs behind the dash that has the wires that go to each door
4- the speakers have plastic mounting buckets riveted to them to mount
them to the door
5- the dash speakers are different. they look loke tweeters and have a
resistor on the back
6- the weather seal paper behind the door panel has a plastic recess for the
speakers to sit in so water does not get to them
7- the jute pading is cut so it does not cover up the speakers
8- all doors including the ones from a cutlass have indentations that show
where to drill the big hole with a metal hole saw that has a drill bit in the