connecting rod threads stretched

86 got boost

well heres a F'ed up question, Im rebuilding engine just started placing pistons in cylinders, connected rods ok did the first torque at 25 ft lbs everything good, well now went back for another torque to 50 ft lbs, well started w/ one it torqued, the second started, made a pop sound, so i pulled that bolt back out to see the threads were rolled on arp bolt and the threads also on rod, did to 2 rods, now the question what can I do to fix, the rods are stock and were fitted w/ arp bolts 10 yrs ago was rebuilt by me 6 yrs ago, now I was doin a refresh for 08, the pistons are JE forged w/ JE pro seal rings new, am I goin to have to replace all rods or, dont get wierd w/ me never done or heard can u heli coil rods? any suggestions and if were can I get a nice set of rods, but on money budget... :redface: on that second torque did not force and was moving the same amount as other bolt but at that point did not feel right but to late :eek: did not go any farther after that happen got very deppressed and went in side, and cryed to my wife, butter up for more money... ha ha, she said how much that goin to cost? dont know gotta go check around... im in!

No you can't helicoil rods, those are the most heavily loaded pieces in the engine. You should be able to replace just the messed up rods if you can get them balanced the same or atleast close. Though I'd seriously consider replacing all of them since one did fail and it would be easier to balance too.

Also, have your torque wrench re-calibrated, or buy a new one. I would NOT trust that one. I have never heard of pulling the threads out of a rod. If you have done that, also replace the bolts, too.

NEW RODS!!
How are you going to tell which, if any, other rods are good to go, or trash??
Replacing the bolts is NOT the answer.

I know that chuck, and 2 bolts the threads are rolled looking, I need rods and bolts, thats what im asking at the end of thread, the K1s go for 480 on up the C.A.T. are 330... but CTX has helped me out here so im hopfully good to go thanks for the reply...

I'd opt..

I know that chuck, and 2 bolts the threads are rolled looking, I need rods and bolts, thats what im asking at the end of thread, the K1s go for 480 on up the C.A.T. are 330... but CTX has helped me out here so im hopfully good to go thanks for the reply...

for the better quality rods, if you can afford them. Even then, have them checked B4 you use them.:cool:

on arp bolts? and yes im getting rid of, getting a new torque wrench... going to replace rods and bolts all together...

What kind of torque wrench was it? Years ago I had a Craftsman that wouldn't click from new. I **** canned it the day after I got it, got me Snap On ones and never looked back. I refuse to use any other T wrench, period.

Craig

torque wrench is a craftman digitorque, has a twist dial at the bottom of handle goes from 25 to 250, after done would put at 25...