You can type here any text you want

Console shifters.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
I will share something I learned the other day:
I am in the process of putting my project car back together and I scored a very nice console shifter.
The base (the part that bolts to the floor pan) was still shiny metal and the chrome shift lever was mint.
The cable nice and the boot un-torn.
My original base was rusty and crusty. The boot on the cable torn.
Now the parts that I acquired were from a 3 speed 200c.
I knew I was experimenting but I figured the gate selector is different and I would just use that one and not have my car be able to go into 1st gear. I cant remember every selecting 1st gear.
Installed the assembly and cannot get the cable to connect to the trans. With selector and trans linkage in Park.
So I swapped the cable to my crappy cable.
Little closer still short....
Then I look at the selector gate, seems the Park groove is up forward more on the 4 speed vs the 3 speed.
I swap them out....
Little closer than the little closer but still will not reach.
Then I compare bases...
They are different too...:mad:
The area which the cable is held to the base with the C clip is a good 3/8 of an inch forward (just the amount I need.)
Take my crappy base to the saw horses; clean and paint my crappy rusty base. Swap in nice chrome shift lever and the shifter gate I previously removed.
Installed it when dry, and everything fits.... I have full range.
So I hope this saves someone from a lot of grief what should have taken 15 minutes took me 2 hours.
I have a really nice 3 speed base and cable for sale.;)

Back