You can type here any text you want

Control Arms, Spindles, Rotors, and Calipers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blown&Injected

Springs and Shocks too; I need to do it all and have read so much about so many different options that I fear that I have learned just enough to be dangerous.

General Goals: I would like the biggest brakes that will fit in the current 15" Centerline wheels, I would like to keep the wheels in the same place as stock, and maintain about the same ride height. Have also read and been told about bump steer when mixing up parts to make it all work - certainly do not want to make things worse.

Many set-ups I have read about are arranged around certain available parts, however, if you had to do it all with 15" C/L Convo Pros, 215 65's up front (this can change a bit if it makes a difference) and 255 60's out back, but will probably going to 275 60 Drag Radials, how would you do it?

Thanks.

What I had in mind was to use G-Body Parts upper and lower control arms, Moog springs, and it sounds like I can modify the stock spindles to accept better calipers - but can I use bigger rotors by doing this?

I'm doing some parts research right now - So how does my plan sound?

Some guys are lucky enough that a 12" LS1 brake rotor and caliper will clear their aftermaket 15" wheels. It definitely doesn't clear Buick 15" wheels. If you don't want to risk 12" brakes not fitting then B-body brakes are your next option.

Wonder if Center Line will know what the limits are for the wheel - but then I need a spec on the 12" brakes...

Anybody know?

TIA

Wonder if Center Line will know what the limits are for the wheel - but then I need a spec on the 12" brakes...

Anybody know?

TIA

The logic I would use is that a 12" rotor is the same size regaurdless if it's on a car or truck. The only difference of a Centerline wheel that is used on a G-body compared to that of a B-body or truck would be the bolt pattern. You dont see anybody complaining that a C/L drag wheel doesn't fit their Impala or truck, do you? I dont think you'd have a problem using the B-body spindle with a 1LE rotor.

Easy way to find out would be to call the wheel manufacturer and just say you have a Camaro with 12" front brakes, rather than confusing them by saying you have an 87 Buick with a front brake conversion.

If thats the case i would simply do the blazer spindle swap, G-body arms, Moog 5660s in front and new stock replacement rear springs, and bilsteins or edelbrock shocks. That is a very good handling setup that stops great, and has no issues clearing a 15" wheel. And i am not kidding in the least, this is what you should do. Oh, and for a little extra, a good rear bar loke the H&R peice would really finish it off.
Gary

if you ever run across someone in your area that has a 98-02 Z28 Camaro or Trans Am with the 12" brakes, ask them if they'd let you test fit one of your wheels on his car to see if it clears. maybe offer a few bucks for their time..
if it fits on the Camaro, the same rotor/caliper combo will clear on your car.

If thats the case i would simply do the blazer spindle swap, G-body arms, Moog 5660s in front and new stock replacement rear springs, and bilsteins or edelbrock shocks. That is a very good handling setup that stops great, and has no issues clearing a 15" wheel. And i am not kidding in the least, this is what you should do. Oh, and for a little extra, a good rear bar loke the H&R peice would really finish it off.
Gary

I agree if you want to keep a 15" wheel! Do a taller lower ball joint to help the bump steer and you'll be good to go with this set up!

Cool man - Thanks!

I believe the 12's will fit - sounds like lots of 12" brake cars with 15" wheels out there - was not sure about that as there are so many big wheel cars these days.

So what is the difference between the Blazer and the B-Body spindle? Does the 1LE rotor fit both of those spindles and would those spindles cause any "weirdness" in the suspension?

Is it possible to modify the stock spindles to accept the 1LE rotor and a good caliper - I guess that would also be from the L1E of a some specific range of years - will do some poking around here and on the Summit site.

It sounds like if it is possible to modify the stock spindle, it would serve to keep the suspension geometry accurate.

Sorry about all the questions, suspension swap stuff is new to me - obviously

There are alot of threads on front brakes, search
The blazer spindle is the same as a g-body spindle. but it has brackets for the better caliper and bigger disk. So you bolt it on and thats it. I think the brake lines even bolt up. I would not go any other route than this honestly and have the chance of not clearing the wheels.
Gary

I have been searching 1LE* and F-Body and B-Body but not Blazer - Yet.

Thanks for the que-in on the Blazer spindle specs. From what I have found and read seems to suggest that many of the other options change something in some way.

Gonna search now but if ya happen to know off the top of your head what year Blazer I need to be looking for... EDIT OK looks like 1998 - 2005 Blazer S-10

Thanks Again

IMO it's a waste of time going to the Blazer brakes if you can use the 12" rotors. The only reason I say that is that the Blazer rotor is not a true 11" rotor. It is more like 10.75". Compare that to the stock 10.5" rotor and all you gain is a 2 piston caliper for all your hard work.

And there ya have it.

Also been reading about some lame hub/bearing/seal design in the Blaser set-up:o

Sounds like there is some flappery involved in any change and ready to just go stock :mad:

Back